Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shed roof

This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted. The rest of the shed is of no particular
quality, and a a bit wobbly.

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?
galvanised steel? plywood and a rubber type sheet? some kind of new
material?

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:

This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the soffit
boards are totally rotted. what would be good? Onduline?

I fitted coroline on mine the first time the felt 'went' the boards were
in good condition, it's lasting very well, but not sure I'd go to the
trouble if the roof was rotten.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:17, Andy Burns wrote:
TimW wrote:

This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m),Â* the
soffit boards are totally rotted. what would be good? Onduline?

I fitted coroline on mine the first time the felt 'went' the boards were
in good condition, it's lasting very well, but not sure I'd go to the
trouble if the roof was rotten.

Depends what wood is rotten. As I remember it, replacing a rotten roof
panel was easier than the felt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 04 Aug 2020 11:10:13 +0100, TimW wrote:

This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted. The rest of the shed is of no particular
quality, and a a bit wobbly.

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?
galvanised steel? plywood and a rubber type sheet? some kind of new
material?

TW

Similar to you, I have re-felted mine several times, but the water
eventually got in and caused the chipboard roof to bow inwards, eventually
to such an extent, I had to take the roof off completely. I bought a
'Tarpaulin' and covered the frame with it. I have it anchored with large
screw-in hooks fixed through the corner eyelets..........it has held fast
for 3 years so far and is water tight. The overhang edges flap a bit in
the wind, but no problem. I bought 2off 8' x 4' heavy gauge chicken wire
fence sheets to use for support, but didn't need to use them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:10:13 +0100, TimW wrote:

This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted.

Soffits on a shed, there's posh! B-)

Or do you mean the roof boards?

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?

Refelted our shed roof at least twice but it never lasts more than
about 5 years before it starts to fail. Bog standard shed roofing
felt, clout nail it down stuff.

Last time it needed doing I put coroline(*) on it that was Sep '16
and it's still water tight and looks almost new. The hard bit was
working out the cutting list to minimise wastage as the ridge to
gutter length was a couple of feet less than a sheet. So every third
lenght you had enough "wastage" to do another length. I think the
shed is 6x8 a 8x10 might not be quite so bad.

(*) The name of the smaller corrogation corrogated bitumen sheet.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Aug 2020 at 11:10:13 BST, "TimW" wrote:

This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted. The rest of the shed is of no particular
quality, and a a bit wobbly.

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?
galvanised steel? plywood and a rubber type sheet? some kind of new
material?

FWIW, I've used a sheet of this to cover tools/bikes in the garden (supposed
to be part of a project that never happened), and it's still in one piece and
waterproof after 6 or 7 years:

https://www.roofingmegastore.co.uk/c...eet-green.html

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 12:43:27 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have used this stuff. Ten years and still good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted. The rest of the shed is of no particular
quality, and a a bit wobbly.

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?
galvanised steel? plywood and a rubber type sheet? some kind of new
material?

TW

Box profile sheets. Cheapish and durable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Farmer Giles Wrote in message:
On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted. The rest of the shed is of no particular
quality, and a a bit wobbly.

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?
galvanised steel? plywood and a rubber type sheet? some kind of new
material?

TW

Box profile sheets. Cheapish and durable.

Awkward to transport cut & handle
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 12:32, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:10:13 +0100, TimW wrote:

This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted.

Soffits on a shed, there's posh! B-)

Or do you mean the roof boards?

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?

Refelted our shed roof at least twice but it never lasts more than
about 5 years before it starts to fail. Bog standard shed roofing
felt, clout nail it down stuff.

That's because bog standard shed felt is crap! I have never been a fan
of nailing through the top coat of felt either.

(If nailing, then nail a nail prep layer on - random pattern. Then bond
undercoat to it, and cap sheet over).

I redid the one here when we moved in 12+ years ago with a couple of
layers of torch-on felt (2mm undercoat, and 4mm mineral finish cap
sheet), and its still perfect (and I would expect it to last at least as
long again!)

Last time it needed doing I put coroline(*) on it that was Sep '16
and it's still water tight and looks almost new. The hard bit was
working out the cutting list to minimise wastage as the ridge to
gutter length was a couple of feet less than a sheet. So every third
lenght you had enough "wastage" to do another length. I think the
shed is 6x8 a 8x10 might not be quite so bad.

(*) The name of the smaller corrogation corrogated bitumen sheet.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted. The rest of the shed is of no particular
quality, and a a bit wobbly.

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?
galvanised steel? plywood and a rubber type sheet? some kind of new
material?

TW

Box profile sheets. Cheapish and durable.

Awkward to transport cut & handle

Get them cut to size and delivered, that's what I have always done - and
I've never found them difficult or awkward to handle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted. The rest of the shed is of no particular
quality, and a a bit wobbly.

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?
galvanised steel? plywood and a rubber type sheet? some kind of new
material?

TW

Box profile sheets. Cheapish and durable.

Awkward to transport cut & handle

Get them cut to size and delivered, that's what I have always done - and
I've never found them difficult or awkward to handle.

I was thinking of the standard 6m lengths...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:

This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m),Â* the
soffit boards are totally rotted. what would be good? Onduline?

I fitted coroline on mine the first time the felt 'went' the boards
were in good condition, it's lasting very well, but not sure I'd go to
the trouble if the roof was rotten.

Depends what wood is rotten. As I remember it, replacing a rotten roof
panel was easier than the felt.

The only decayed wood afaict is the boards that are totally exposed on
the gable end. I thought it was called a soffit but maybe I am wrong. A
board which is nailed on top of the felt along the edge, and another
vertical one.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 12:32, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Soffits on a shed, there's posh! B-)

Or do you mean the roof boards?

Probably, nailed on top of the felt and over the edge, at the gable ends.
TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He said wobbly does this mean the bottom corners of the uprights are
somewhat rotted. I have a shed like this and I'm debating its future myself.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
TimW wrote:

This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the soffit
boards are totally rotted. what would be good? Onduline?

I fitted coroline on mine the first time the felt 'went' the boards were
in good condition, it's lasting very well, but not sure I'd go to the
trouble if the roof was rotten.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
[...]

Well, yes, in that case cutting them is a nightmare. Suppliers will
generally cut them to size.

https://tinyurl.com/yxm8v4ey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
[...]

The link rather illustrates another potential point - minimum
length 6ft? Sounds bit long for a typical pitch roof shed? So
then we potentially still have the faff of cutting
it...

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
[...]

It does say 'can be cut to length on request'. My local supplier will
cut them down to less than 1 metre.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
[...]

Â* length 6ft? Sounds bit long for a typical pitch roof shed? So
Â* then we potentially still have the faff of cutting
Â* it...

It does say 'can be cut to length on request'. My local supplier will
cut them down to less than 1 metre.

How do you stop the cut ends going rusty though ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
[...]

I've never had any problems with that. Anyway, they're all cut from a
flat continuous steel roll which is fed into the profile machine, then
cut to whatever length is required. So all the ends are cut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted. The rest of the shed is of no particular
quality, and a a bit wobbly.

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?
galvanised steel? plywood and a rubber type sheet? some kind of new
material?

TW

IIRC the cheapest long-lived thing per square foot are the thin steel
plastic coated box profile sheets, but you might have to bodge the
ridge. If the boards are not too bad you could probably fit the sheets
using sticks like **** type cartridge adhesive, and save messing around
with roofing nails or screws.

I have to replace a corruline/onduline pitched roof soon, I shall
probably board it first but have not decided whether to use metal or
corruline. I have come to the conclusion that it is *only* worth using
the corrugated bitumen boards with full boarding underneath. Mine lasted
20 years but a stables that I rent has only lasted 10, owing to sagging
and splitting between rafters and purlins.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I have come to the conclusion that it is *only* worth using the
corrugated bitumen boards with full boarding underneath.

my shed roof is full 18mm T&G boarded, I added battens for the coroline
and used their ridge pieces, didn't get on quite so well with their end
pieces, but it looks in good shape ~8 years on, no sagging. It's had
just one very light pressure-washing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
[...]

How do they gain the colours then?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 16:19, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
He said wobbly does this mean the bottom corners of the uprights are
somewhat rotted. I have a shed like this and I'm debating its future myself.
Brian

Not in my case. I think the wobbliness is a slightly flimsy construction
combined with some subsidence of the blocks it's sitting on, causing a
little distortion of the whole thing. But hey, it's only a potting shed.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
[...]

That's how the steel rolls come - when I go to my supplier I see the
rolls lying around in the various colours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 20:21:12 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
[...]

Chap next door had his shed roof done with a corrugated sheet that looks
remarkably like the asbestos cement that it replaced. The roofer - he lives
about 150m up the road - reckoned that it'll last about 50 years; the old
roof was about 70 yo but 10 past it's 'best before' date.
I did mine with Onduline about 3 years ago; the lean-to next to it was done
with Onduline about 10 years ago - still OK but showing its age.
The manufacturer claims 15 years if 'maintained' which, so far as I can see,
is not leaving debris, especially moss, on it for too long.
Next time I'll use the corrugated cement board or whatever it is, although
15 years might see me out (or 15 weeks the way things are going atm!).
The pitch on these roofs is about 7 deg. so I used 2m sheets on a 3m roof,
giving nearly 2m overlap (the rest is on the eaves).
Harder material would allow more overhang and that would be better at
keeping rain off the timberwork.
The roofs are fully decked under the Onduline so local pooling isn't an
issue.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10:13, TimW wrote:
This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted. The rest of the shed is of no particular
quality, and a a bit wobbly.

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?
galvanised steel? plywood and a rubber type sheet? some kind of new
material?

On a very similar wooden structure I used 2 8x4 sheets of buffalo board.
No felt, apart from a strip on the apex. Slightly more expensive that
OSB and felt but much easier and will last longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
[...]

They have a coloured polymer coating.

--