Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default shed roof

On 04/08/2020 12:32, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:10:13 +0100, TimW wrote:

This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m), the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20 yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and the soffit
boards are totally rotted.

Soffits on a shed, there's posh! B-)

Or do you mean the roof boards?

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better, hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?

Refelted our shed roof at least twice but it never lasts more than
about 5 years before it starts to fail. Bog standard shed roofing
felt, clout nail it down stuff.

That's because bog standard shed felt is crap! I have never been a fan
of nailing through the top coat of felt either.

(If nailing, then nail a nail prep layer on - random pattern. Then bond
undercoat to it, and cap sheet over).

I redid the one here when we moved in 12+ years ago with a couple of
layers of torch-on felt (2mm undercoat, and 4mm mineral finish cap
sheet), and its still perfect (and I would expect it to last at least as
long again!)

Last time it needed doing I put coroline(*) on it that was Sep '16
and it's still water tight and looks almost new. The hard bit was
working out the cutting list to minimise wastage as the ridge to
gutter length was a couple of feet less than a sheet. So every third
lenght you had enough "wastage" to do another length. I think the
shed is 6x8 a 8x10 might not be quite so bad.

(*) The name of the smaller corrogation corrogated bitumen sheet.

--
Cheers,

John.