Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Antenna Tower height ...

In article , says...

Is has cross rungs every 18".* Climbing it was easy,
just worried if it will hold up if someone climbs to
the top to work on the antenna.

Yes it will.

Unless, of course, it doesn't -- which could be a too-belated piece of
knowledge at the point of learning so.

It _probably_ will if it has withstood severe wind in the recent past
but no way in the world would I consider climbing it (even if were still
young enough to feel confident about doing so which is a time long ago
past by now but that's a different issue) knowing no more than you say
you know about either the installation or the condition of what you
can't see.

I have climbed several towers similar to that and have one myself that
I put up. No problem climbing it to 30 feet with out any guy wires.

However this tower is unknown. There seems to be a bunch of leaves and
such around the base. It could or could not be colleting water and
rusted. The base may not be in much concrete. For climbing it with out
guy wires I would want it in about a yard of concrete. If guyed the
tower could just sit on a base with just enough to keep the base in
place. I was on site when a 100 foot tower similar to that was
installed. The base was a flat plate with a hole in it and a bar about
an inch in diameter stuck out of the concrete about 3 inches and the
tower was just placed over that with a crane. Then guy were attached.
It was then safe to climb. One thing I could not tell, but is there
or is there not a bracket that connects it to the house ?

With all the unknowns I would not climb this one. One other thing not
mentioned , does the climber have a good safety harness ?

For this tower, I would rent one of the bucket lifts. As mentioned you
can rent one that goes to around 30 feet that can be towed by anything
that has a ball on that towes a trailer. If you can get to it, you may
get a tree trimmer to bring his truck out and do the job for you .