Old August 2nd 20, 03:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Antenna Tower height ...

We have a triangular Antenna tower that is about 40 years old and stands about 30' high. I climbed 1/2 up to repair that security light that was mounted on it, but was Leary about climbing the entire height to work on the antenna.

Should I be concerned about climbing all the way to the antenna ? its not rusted out, but I am just concerned about how well its anchored in concrete.
I was not there when it was erected, so I don't know if they secured it w/cables while attaching the upper sections and antenna.

Are those antennas designed to hold the weight of a 200 lb person at the top ?

Thanks

Old August 2nd 20, 04:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
We have a triangular Antenna tower that is about 40 years old and stands
about 30' high. I climbed 1/2 up to repair that security light that was
mounted on it, but was Leary about climbing the entire height to work on
the antenna.

Should I be concerned about climbing all the way to the antenna ? its not
rusted out, but I am just concerned about how well its anchored in
concrete.
I was not there when it was erected, so I don't know if they secured it
w/cables while attaching the upper sections and antenna.

Are those antennas designed to hold the weight of a 200 lb person at the
top ?

Yep, and plenty of mates of mine have done that with their towers.

Old August 2nd 20, 09:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 13:45:35 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yep, and plenty of mates of mine have done that with their towers.

What "mates", you hallucinating senile pest? You don't have ANY! The people
you see on TV are NOT your mates. Nor are the posters on Usenet that you
pester with your senile attitude! It's the very reason why you get up EVERY
NIGHT betwenn 01:00 and 04:00 just so you have someone to talk to on Usenet!
BG

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
Old August 2nd 20, 09:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 21:55:31 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I can categorically state I would not climb to the top, but then I
wouldn't climb halfway up either.

I know! But you would keep driveling endlessly on Usenet, you weird senile
creature! BG

Old August 2nd 20, 02:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 9:54:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
We have a triangular Antenna tower that is about 40 years old and stands about 30' high. I climbed 1/2 up to repair that security light that was mounted on it, but was Leary about climbing the entire height to work on the antenna.

Should I be concerned about climbing all the way to the antenna ? its not rusted out, but I am just concerned about how well its anchored in concrete.
I was not there when it was erected, so I don't know if they secured it w/cables while attaching the upper sections and antenna.

Are those antennas designed to hold the weight of a 200 lb person at the top ?

Thanks

No, the antenna tower is not guyed. Just wondering how the antenna is serviced ? Do workers setup temporary guys ? I was trying to find some examples on U-tube or other to show me how to get up there safely.
No the antenna does not come down, all the sections are bolted together.
Its a typical home TV tower that you see at rural homes.
Looks just like this stuff: https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ame25b3
Old August 2nd 20, 03:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

No, the antenna tower is not guyed. Just wondering how the antenna is serviced ? Do workers setup temporary guys ? I was trying to find some examples on U-tube or other to show me how to get up there safely.
No the antenna does not come down, all the sections are bolted together.
Its a typical home TV tower that you see at rural homes.
Looks just like this stuff:
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ame25b3

If that tower is made of round tubes and not the flat bars and if it is
in about a yard of concrete it would be safe to climb if it is in good
shape.

There is a tower company called Rohn that makes towers like that. I
have one I put up to 60 feet . The base is in a block of concrete that
was pored into a hole that is 3 feet deep and 3 feet square. It is safe
to climb to the 30 foot level without guy wires. I put up 40 feet, and
guyed it at the 30 foot level, then put up the other 30 feet and guyed
it about 5 feet from the top. About 30 years ago I helped put up another
tower . Two of us were on it at the 30 foot level before any guy wires
were put on.

Not knowing anything about the history or base of the tower, I doubt I
would climb it to the 30 foot level.
Old August 2nd 20, 03:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 10:00:06 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/2/20 8:54 AM, wrote:
[...]

Is there a tool rental place that has a boom or scissor lift
nearby? Home Depot, for example.

That's the safe way. No one here has even seen this, we have no idea what
it was when new, what condition it's in, how it was installed. I wouldn't
climb it. I have seen people back a truck up against small towers like that
to support it on one side, then use a ladder on the other side. But you
wouldn't get me to do that.

Rigging, homemade crane, antenna tower. RogerN Metalworking 21 January 28th 12 05:28 PM
Tv antenna tower hinge stryped[_3_] Metalworking 5 April 20th 11 12:31 AM
Antenna tower hinge stryped[_3_] Metalworking 32 December 26th 10 04:56 AM
Antenna tower hinge KD7HB Metalworking 0 December 20th 10 04:55 PM
Grounding TV antenna tower [email protected] Home Repair 12 April 14th 06 03:50 AM