Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cheap Import Surface Grinder - Coolant

A while back I picked up an inexpensive (relatively speaking) 6x12
surface grinder. It does a pretty decent job for light cuts if the heat
doesn't start to build up.

I discovered pretty quick that heat was an issue when trying to surface
grind a piece of hard steel. There really isn't a provision for any
sort of coolant. Flood would just make a mess, and I don't really see
any good provision for adding splash guards for even an open top
enclosure that wouldn't impair the envelope of the machine.

Longer back I found that an air blast worked really well milling medium
hardness steel. It would make even more of a mess in some ways, but
atleast it wouldn't soak everything in the area. I am considering that
as an option. If it doesn't work I can remove it quickly, and for
testing I can borrow the rig off the mill where I typically cut steel.

I'm also thinking about mist. (Pressure feed. Not venturi feed.) Its
a little more involved to test out. First I either need to buy or build
one. I have flood coolant with decent recovery on every other machine
where I use liquid coolant. Several mills, horizontal bandsaw, lathe etc.

Most of the larger commercial surface grinders I have seen run flood
coolant, so I am thinking that's probably the best solution other
limitations not withstanding. I have to ask though. Do you use or have
you seen somebody use air blast or spray mist with good results on a
surface grinder?