Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cheap Import Surface Grinder - Coolant

A while back I picked up an inexpensive (relatively speaking) 6x12
surface grinder. It does a pretty decent job for light cuts if the heat
doesn't start to build up.

I discovered pretty quick that heat was an issue when trying to surface
grind a piece of hard steel. There really isn't a provision for any
sort of coolant. Flood would just make a mess, and I don't really see
any good provision for adding splash guards for even an open top
enclosure that wouldn't impair the envelope of the machine.

Longer back I found that an air blast worked really well milling medium
hardness steel. It would make even more of a mess in some ways, but
atleast it wouldn't soak everything in the area. I am considering that
as an option. If it doesn't work I can remove it quickly, and for
testing I can borrow the rig off the mill where I typically cut steel.

I'm also thinking about mist. (Pressure feed. Not venturi feed.) Its
a little more involved to test out. First I either need to buy or build
one. I have flood coolant with decent recovery on every other machine
where I use liquid coolant. Several mills, horizontal bandsaw, lathe etc.

Most of the larger commercial surface grinders I have seen run flood
coolant, so I am thinking that's probably the best solution other
limitations not withstanding. I have to ask though. Do you use or have
you seen somebody use air blast or spray mist with good results on a
surface grinder?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

[...]

=============================

You might try a coarser, softer wheel, like 46 I.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

A while back I picked up an inexpensive (relatively speaking) 6x12
surface grinder. It does a pretty decent job for light cuts if the heat
doesn't start to build up.
==================================

Many grinders mount their wheels on tapered spindle adapters so you don't
have to dress the wheel each time you change it.
http://www.wmsopko.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/3/2020 2:57 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe"Â* wrote in message ...

A while back I picked up an inexpensive (relatively speaking) 6x12
surface grinder.Â* It does a pretty decent job for light cuts if the heat
doesn't start to build up.
==================================

Many grinders mount their wheels on tapered spindle adapters so you
don't have to dress the wheel each time you changeÂ* it.
http://www.wmsopko.com

Yeah, I have looked at that. This one too. To be truly useful of
course one must have multiple taper adapters. I looked at the parts
cost to assebmle them, (they don't sell the whole assembly as one part
or parts package) and it gets pretty expensive when adding up all the
individual parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

On 8/3/2020 2:57 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

A while back I picked up an inexpensive (relatively speaking) 6x12
surface grinder. It does a pretty decent job for light cuts if the heat
doesn't start to build up.
==================================

Many grinders mount their wheels on tapered spindle adapters so you don't
have to dress the wheel each time you change it.
http://www.wmsopko.com

Yeah, I have looked at that. This one too. To be truly useful of
course one must have multiple taper adapters. I looked at the parts
cost to assebmle them, (they don't sell the whole assembly as one part
or parts package) and it gets pretty expensive when adding up all the
individual parts.
I have a rough-turned tapered arbor and several adapter blanks waiting for
me to fit a taper adapter from a 14" SB lathe onto my 10" lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

On 8/3/2020 2:57 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

A while back I picked up an inexpensive (relatively speaking) 6x12
surface grinder. It does a pretty decent job for light cuts if the heat
doesn't start to build up.

I thought very light cuts was what you do with a surface grinder?
Machine on eg. mill within 10thou / 0.25mm, then very lightly grind to
get the surface-ground finish. Watch the machining marks having their
tops removed until they disappear.
I realise though now that I never needed an exact size - only that the
surfaces were truly smooth, flat and parallel... Makes a difference?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard Smith" wrote in message ...

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

On 8/3/2020 2:57 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

A while back I picked up an inexpensive (relatively speaking) 6x12
surface grinder. It does a pretty decent job for light cuts if the heat
doesn't start to build up.

I thought very light cuts was what you do with a surface grinder?
Machine on eg. mill within 10thou / 0.25mm, then very lightly grind to
get the surface-ground finish. Watch the machining marks having their
tops removed until they disappear.
I realise though now that I never needed an exact size - only that the
surfaces were truly smooth, flat and parallel... Makes a difference?

That's what I was taught too, remove less than 0.001" per pass when using a
horizontal shaft surface grinder. Vertical shaft Blanchard grinders are for
the heavy production jobs.
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/di...sion-grinding/

I've seen a wheel shatter when the operator tried to take too much. I was on
another grinder perpendicular to the path of the fragments, one of which
loudly dented the loading door.

However the seller of my small grinder told me he had nearly worn it out
pushing it to its limit. He asked $50 for the grinder and $50 for the mag
chuck. Apparently it tolerates a heavier cut because it is more adjustable
and thus more flexible than a standard grinder, though less precise. I was
able to resurface my ancient British anvil on it.

https://ozarktoolmanuals.com/machine...-parts-manual/

I found its swivel table for cutter grinding in a used machinery store that
didn't have the grinder or know what the table was for. I had to make the
missing base for it. The head and column rotate to angle a cup or dish wheel
so the far side clears the work and poppit heads. The Quorn appears to be a
smaller copy. The grinder earned its cost back quickly by salvaging cheap
dulled large pipe taps, brand name end mills and the cutter head of my
woodworking jointer. Grinding the carbon steel blades without burning
required cuts so light I could barely hear them and didn't see sparks.

Notice that there's no provision for coolant, unless one puts a baking pan
under the mag chuck and caulks around it. A drain can be fabricated from a
brass pipe fitting by turning one end into a thin tubular rivet and
expanding and soldering it into a depression hammered into the pan.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 12:04:26 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

Spray mist is commonly used. Good water based coolant, properly mixed
does work on most steels when blown at the work/wheel interface.
So does flooding the side of the wheel with coolant...but its far far
messier.

Simply put a splash panel at the back of the mag chuck and it will
catch the fast majority of the liquids and cuttings.
__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.