Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default DIY domestic electric vehicle charging point?

John Rumm wrote:
On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:

FTAOD, are we talking just installing a off the shelf charging unit, or
are you suggesting building a complete charger from the component level up?

Off the shelf. ;-)

Doable? Worth doing?

Yup, and only if doing the former!

In Scotland I see that there are grants available for professional
installations (which seem to be around the £1000 mark).

ISTR there were some for England as well.

Are there significant savings to be had by DIYing it and are there any
significant gotchas that one needs to be aware of?

Much the same as any outdoor wiring project, with the possible
additional requirement of needing a type A RCD for protection. The
latest amendment to BS7671 has a bit more on vehicle charging.

(we probably ought to stick something in the wiki)

I do realise that
this probably falls into the if you have to ask, you shouldnt be doing
it category of jobs

I rarely subscribe to that train of logic! Its seems far more sensible
to find out what you need to know before doing the job.

(that I get mildly narked by people telling me "its too difficult for
you, leave it to the pros!")

but just curious to know if a) you averagely competent
DIYer could do it or b) make some saving by installing an appropriate
unconnected cable for a sparky to finish off?

Either would be ok, although you would probably need to confirm with the
fitter if doing the latter - they may not be as keen if they did not
have full control over the job.

Thanks for that John. Ive checked my main fuse and its got 100A on it so
I think Im okay from the supply side of things. We dont use our supply
for much other than normal domestic appliances and a underfloor heating in
a bathroom so I dont think well struggle on that score.

Thinking about positioning, I suspect the most useful place will be outside
rather than in our garage (which was my first thought). The cable run
would probably have to be under-floor where access is very limited and
there wouldnt really any option to fix the cable to anything. Is this
allowable? I guess itll have to be some sort of armoured cable.

Our earthing system seems to be a wide metal braided strap attached to the
incoming mains cable. (Looks like a lead sheath on the incomer.). Is this
okay?

Lastly, chargers seem to have varying levels of smarts built in. Are
these just gimmicks or does it depend on the car? I believe on some cars
charging intervals can be programmed into the car rather than into the
charging box. This is all new to me as you may have guessed. ;-)

Incidentally, for anyone who hasnt tried driving a car in one pedal mode
whereby braking progressively increases as you lift off the throttle, I
found it incredibly straightforward to get used to and found it really
useful in town traffic during my test drive today.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls