Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default NO more free TV licence from today

On 02/08/2020 19:13, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 02/08/2020 18:59, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 02/08/2020 18:54, Andrew wrote:
On 02/08/2020 18:41, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 02/08/2020 18:27, Andrew wrote:
On 02/08/2020 11:41, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 02/08/2020 09:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on
pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age?
(Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, ...

What are "pension credits"?

... but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60 with no
pension or
otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.

The first eligibilty requirement for pension credit is to be over
the
state pension age. Which isĀ* some what variable dependant on your
sex
and date of birth as they gradually push it up to 68. With plans to
push it even higher.

If that's the case, it's changed fairly recently then. It was
certainly over sixty a few years back because I claimed it for
someone who was that age.

You're thinking of the automatic NI credits that males over aged 60
get
if they are not paying any NI, for any reason.

These are convenient for someone who was contracted out for many years
but not working after 60. The 5 years of NI credits cancel out 5 years
of contracting out deductions so you get a slightly better state
pension.

Now I am not. I was referring to Pension Credit as it was a few
years back - and could definitely be claimed by someone over sixty.

But not a bloke !!.

Yes, definitely. I helped a male relative claim it in 2008 - he was 62
at the time. He was awarded the Pension Credit guaranteed credit. It
was a top-up benefit - he had some other income.

https://www.housingcare.org/downloads/kbase/2106.pdf

I just tried the online calculator at gov.uk and input this DOB
01/01/1958, so mimicking a 62-yo male, and got this response :-

https://pensioncreditcalculator.dwp....on-outcome.php

Pension Credit calculator
You are not eligible for Pension Credit

It's too early for you to apply for Pension Credit because you haven't
reached Pension Credit age.

You may become eligible on: 01 January 2024

However, your partner may be eligible to claim Pension Credit if they
haven't already. They can use this calculator to see if they are eligible.
Print your calculation

Looks like they have noticed the ambiguity in its wording and made
some changes. I wouldn't mind betting that it was only ever intended
for females age 60 or over.

Hmmm, I chose print calculation and see there is a Print to PDF
option now. Something else I didn't know existed in Win 10 (or W7)