Old August 2nd 20, 10:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NO more free TV licence from today

On 1 Aug 2020 23:44:33 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 22:16:10 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 18:03:26 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.

BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails,
texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will fall for a
scammer though.

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Of course, there may be unexpected consequences. Lots of eligible people,
who haven't doen it until now, deciding to apply for pension credit.

I think the real issue here is giving the licence free to some in the
first place. People were paying and were ok with that (few other
choices, good content, no advertising etc), just as all those who know
if they want to watch Netflix or Amazon Video now they have to pay for
it. The problem arises when you make it free to anyone and then decide
to take that away again.

I think the biggest insult is what I remember being only a tiny
discount to 'viewers' (as that's the primary interface of 'TV'
(compared with radio)) who were registered blind?

I appreciate the impact would vary depending on what was on ... and
how good the narration was, but still. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Old August 2nd 20, 10:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2020 10:13, RJH wrote:
On 2 Aug 2020 at 10:05:22 BST, "T i m" wrote:

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles
wrote:

snip

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age? (Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60
with no pension or otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.

I did indeed and didn't think the two things were different (but
understand how they can be etc).

Eg, initially they may be a top up *towards* your pension (unable to
continue working near retirement age) and then it became a topup *of*
your pension if you weren't above a specific threshold?

I've just looked this up for someone - 70, but doesn't receive the full
pension (he gets about £150) because, he says, he hasn't paid full NI.

According to the Age Concern Calculator, he should now get pension and savings
credit, pushing his weekly income up to about the full pension. Plus other
benefits, like council tax rebates.

So if that's correct, he could be a few thousand better off if he claims. Does
seem a bit perverse to me - IIUC somebody on the basic 'full' pension with no
other income wouldn't be entitled to these credit-benefits.

I think this was done, at least in part, by the BBC to "cock a snook" at
the Government. Its been estimated that if every one who is entitled to
pension credit claims it will cost the government more than it would to
fund the licence.

Whilst the cost of the Pension Credit is less, it unlocks other benefits
which push the costs up...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...xtra-600m.html

or shortened url

https://tinyurl.com/y36kvfdo

so guys and gals, get claiming. Its your right...

Dave
Old August 2nd 20, 10:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 10:28:26 +0100, David Wade
wrote:

snip

Whilst the cost of the Pension Credit is less, it unlocks other benefits
which push the costs up...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...xtra-600m.html

or shortened url

https://tinyurl.com/y36kvfdo

so guys and gals, get claiming. Its your right...

I'm 63, not working (never claimed anything in my life) but too young
to retire, according to the current system ... but I think I have two
small private pensions that matured when I was 60.

I believe I also have a couple more private pensions that are due to
mature when I'm 65 and I think I did look into putting them all into
one, but 1) not sure if that was a good idea and 2) I think that you
might only be able to combing so many and didn't know which I should
do if there were limits (or take the cash etc).

Cheers, T i m
Old August 2nd 20, 11:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The discount was the same as the radio licence on the grounds that blind
people got that for free (£1.25). When that was abolished the discount
continued at the same rate, as you can't remove a benefit that people
are used to even if it doesn't make any sense or they will make a fuss;
as the BBC/Government have discovered with the abolition of the over 75
free licence.

I never understood TV licence discounts for blind people before AD was
introduced.

--
Max Demian
Old August 2nd 20, 11:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2020 09:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on

pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age?

(Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, ...

What are "pension credits"?

... but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60 with no pension or
otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.

The first eligibilty requirement for pension credit is to be over the
state pension age. Which is some what variable dependant on your sex
and date of birth as they gradually push it up to 68. With plans to
push it even higher.

If that's the case, it's changed fairly recently then. It was certainly
over sixty a few years back because I claimed it for someone who was
that age.

Old August 2nd 20, 11:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.

BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails,
texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will
fall for a scammer though.

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

and another 300,000 (or whatever) who would qualify, but are too proud to
claim

don't weep all at once, you'll flood us out

Old August 2nd 20, 11:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:31:35 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on

pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age?

(Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, ...

What are "pension credits"?

... but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60 with no pension or
otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster meant.

The first eligibilty requirement for pension credit is to be over the
state pension age. Which is some what variable dependant on your sex
and date of birth as they gradually push it up to 68. With plans to
push it even higher.

but at any one point in time (such as today) is a fixed defined age

And in any case it's an irrelevance, as the requirement for the free licence
is to be claiming "Pension Credit" and be over 75

Old August 2nd 20, 12:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Don't pension credits stop when you reach pensionable age? (Assuming
you haven't accumulated enough before then.)

Pension credits do, but Pension Credit is a top-up for those over 60
with no pension or otherwise on a low-income. That's what the poster
meant.

I did indeed and didn't think the two things were different (but
understand how they can be etc).

Eg, initially they may be a top up *towards* your pension (unable to
continue working near retirement age) and then it became a topup *of*
your pension if you weren't above a specific threshold?

I've just looked this up for someone - 70, but doesn't receive the full
pension (he gets about £150)

that seems like more than a full pension to me. (for a single person)

because, he says, he hasn't paid full NI.

According to the Age Concern Calculator, he should now get pension and
savings
credit, pushing his weekly income up to about the full pension. Plus other
benefits, like council tax rebates.

funnily enough, I have just downloaded a help sheet for this

and that says

"Savings Credits have been closed to new applicants since 2010"

so Age Concern see somewhat out of date there

So if that's correct, he could be a few thousand better off if he claims.
Does
seem a bit perverse to me - IIUC somebody on the basic 'full' pension with
no
other income wouldn't be entitled to these credit-benefits.

The payment is based around the concept of "Minimum Income Guarantee"

which is some way above the standard pension and assume that people have an
earnings related top up

but not everyone earned enough to accumulate that top up

Old August 2nd 20, 12:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 10:28:26 +0100, David Wade
wrote:

snip

Whilst the cost of the Pension Credit is less, it unlocks other benefits
which push the costs up...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...xtra-600m.html

or shortened url

https://tinyurl.com/y36kvfdo

so guys and gals, get claiming. Its your right...

I'm 63, not working (never claimed anything in my life) but too young
to retire, according to the current system ... but I think I have two
small private pensions that matured when I was 60.

I believe I also have a couple more private pensions that are due to
mature when I'm 65 and I think I did look into putting them all into
one, but 1) not sure if that was a good idea and 2) I think that you
might only be able to combing so many and didn't know which I should
do if there were limits (or take the cash etc).

And assuming that you aren't living on fresh air now, presumably have
significant savings.

Whilst PC does not have a savings level that forbids you from claiming, it
does have an "assumed" income from saving which involve an assumption of
"draw-dawn".

anyone with an OAP pension and more than about 50K is going to find the
calculation for PC says "no"

tim

Old August 2nd 20, 12:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I think that's probably an unintended consequence