Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Antenna Tower height ...

On 8/2/2020 10:06 AM, Pat wrote:

I installed that type of tower to earn money while in high school and
college. I regularly climbed to the 50' level without guy wires and
never had an issue. The sections are 10' each so you can tell how
deep the base is buried. (eg, if the bottom section is 7' above
ground there must be 3' buried). Chances are you could climb yours
without issue. Try rocking it side to side. If you can't, adding
another 200 pounds of downward force won't do anything. (Yes, I know
all the force isn't all downward, but most of it is). Strong winds at
the top cause more horizontal force than 200 pounds 1 to 2 feet
off-center at the top. If it has survived many years of storms, AND
IT IS NOT RUSTY, you can climb it.

If the tower section itself is buried instead of a rigid mount on a
footing, you have no way to know whether it is rotted/rusted out or not
until it's too late if is.

No way, no how would I risk climbing such of that age and unknown
install to that level.

As another said, rent a boom truck or the like.

The antenna here Dad put up is 2" pipe section for bottom 20-ft with 1"
for top...it's on a pivot pin so can drop the top to the ground to work on.

I do happen to now have a 40-ft JLG boom lift so I just use it instead
as being easier, but without it the obvious solution. Of course, it's
not climbable at all.

It's withstood the KS wind and tstorms for 40 years with the exception
of one near 100-mph night that bent the bottom section about 30 degrees.
I heated with acetylene torch and straightened and it's stood up since
-- that's been probably close to 15 years since now...had peak winds
just other night of 70+ -- rotated the antenna itself a little but tower
stood...