Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default External handrail fixing

On 02/08/2020 15:55, wrote:
On Sunday, 2 August 2020 14:23:55 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
The door surround is metal-framed PVC, and I doubt it has reliable
strength to take a wall fixing for a handrail.

I'm now wondering if it might be best to have the top post fixed
to the house wall where the door and RH panel meet.

It would.

I'd suggest an L fixed to the wall to teh side and below the door opening, and another angled L forming the handrail and vertical, fixed into the path concrete. That avoids drilling the steps bricks and tiles completely, and holes in the house wall will be more easily patched when the rail is removed.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/9/91/Handrail2.jpg

A blacksmith should be able to fit that up out of steel tube for you, or if you want to DIY, Kee Klamp or equivalent.

https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/tube-clamps

Galv steel tube is only a fiver a metre and most of the fittings are under a fiver. Obs a smith can bend the tube, saving an adjustable angle fitting and looking neater.

Owain

Exactly what I was going to suggest the moment I saw the picture!

I used key clamp for the steps of my late parents victorian basement
flat (where it wasn't very visible and didn't need to look pretty). Also
Key Clamp is relatively easy to remove.

In your case I would probably consider getting a blacksmith to make
something prettier. What they'd charge depends on what they think you
are able to pay.