Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default filing flats on a socket

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 22:09:04 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 13:06:09 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 07:39:48 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I'm guilty of the same practice. I shop at $1 Gewjaws R Us.

I was using a 1" to 3/4" square drive adapter from such a store on a
neighbor's truck lug nut and sheared it off. The guys watching were VERY
impressed that I'm that strong, not knowing the adapter was weak instead.

Who knew that melted potmetal rebar was that weak?
Congrats on the strength, too.

The same happened to me in the Army. Paint obscured the L on a truck
wheel
stud and a friend and I stripped it by wrenching the wrong way. When I
admitted what I'd done without implicating the helper the mechanics'
attitude toward me jumped from dismissive to respectful, and they taught
me
a lot about maintenance, such as how to replace that flat tire on a split
rim wheel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_se...x6_cargo_truck

Deuce and a half split rims? PASS. Those could be deadly as you
seated the bead. I know a guy who rode one and lived. And I saw a
video of one take a guy's head clean off. If they taught you split
rim stuff, I'm not so sure they were respectful. LOL

If you don't have a proper cage, for ceying out loud use LOTS of
strong chains!!!!

Yeah. This was back in the '70s, before cages were mandatory. Are
split rims even allowed on the road any more? LOL

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

==========================

The Army has a procedure and printed manual for -everything-, some detailing
where to stand and how to position your hands when performing the
procedures. They can't assume what trainees know or don't. We had a recruit
from so far back in the woods he had to be taught how to use running water,
though he sure could shoot.

I have a Russian manual that prohibits troops from pounding on ammunition
with a rock to explode it. It says not to lean rifles on the wall when you
go into a private house, instead drive in nails to hang them up by the
sling.

http://manuals.chudov.com/M939-Serie...TIRES-2000.pdf

"Never use petroleum based products such as oil or grease when
demounting/mounting tires from rims. Petroleum based products have a severe
degrading affect on tire rubber. Use only approved tire and rim lubricant "