Old June 18th 20, 12:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default filing flats on a socket

I'm making a special tool out of a 3/8 drive socket. It'll have to be
turned by a wrench or gripped by vise jaws. I'll file flats on the
square end.

Should the flats be parallel with the square's sides, or have the point
in the middle? This is a high-torque situation.

Old June 18th 20, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:09:37 AM UTC-5, maxq wrote:
I'm making a special tool out of a 3/8 drive socket. It'll have to be
turned by a wrench or gripped by vise jaws. I'll file flats on the
square end.

Should the flats be parallel with the square's sides, or have the point
in the middle? This is a high-torque situation.

I'm not smart enough to reinvent the wheel:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...aps-67011.html
Old June 18th 20, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/18/2020 10:50 AM, wws wrote:
I'm not smart enough to reinvent the wheel:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...aps-67011.html

That's one of those things that are so cool that I buy them and then
never use them. LOL
Old June 18th 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 07:50:28 -0700, wws wrote:

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:09:37 AM UTC-5, maxq wrote:
I'm making a special tool out of a 3/8 drive socket. It'll have to be
turned by a wrench or gripped by vise jaws. I'll file flats on the
square end.

Should the flats be parallel with the square's sides, or have the point
in the middle? This is a high-torque situation.

I'm not smart enough to reinvent the wheel:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...-drive-socket-

caps-67011.html

Can't access the end - tool slides along an axle. Can't drill a hole
crossways either (well you could but it wouldn't help any).
Old June 18th 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"maxq" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 07:50:28 -0700, wws wrote:

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:09:37 AM UTC-5, maxq wrote:
I'm making a special tool out of a 3/8 drive socket. It'll have to be
turned by a wrench or gripped by vise jaws. I'll file flats on the
square end.

Should the flats be parallel with the square's sides, or have the point
in the middle? This is a high-torque situation.

I'm not smart enough to reinvent the wheel:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...-drive-socket-

caps-67011.html

Can't access the end - tool slides along an axle. Can't drill a hole
crossways either (well you could but it wouldn't help any).

================================

Offset box wrench?

Old June 18th 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 16:43:35 +0000 (UTC)
maxq wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 07:50:28 -0700, wws wrote:

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:09:37 AM UTC-5, maxq wrote:

[...]

I'm not smart enough to reinvent the wheel:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...-drive-socket-

caps-67011.html

Can't access the end - tool slides along an axle. Can't drill a hole
crossways either (well you could but it wouldn't help any).

You might want to post the problem, what you're trying to do and see if
anyone has a different solution ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Old June 18th 20, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 07:50:28 -0700 (PDT), wws
wrote:

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:09:37 AM UTC-5, maxq wrote:
I'm making a special tool out of a 3/8 drive socket. It'll have to be
turned by a wrench or gripped by vise jaws. I'll file flats on the
square end.

Should the flats be parallel with the square's sides, or have the point
in the middle? This is a high-torque situation.

I'm not smart enough to reinvent the wheel:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...aps-67011.html

I'm not either, at that price
Old June 18th 20, 07:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 16:43:35 +0000 (UTC), maxq wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 07:50:28 -0700, wws wrote:

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:09:37 AM UTC-5, maxq wrote:
I'm making a special tool out of a 3/8 drive socket. It'll have to be
turned by a wrench or gripped by vise jaws. I'll file flats on the
square end.

Should the flats be parallel with the square's sides, or have the point
in the middle? This is a high-torque situation.

I'm not smart enough to reinvent the wheel:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...-drive-socket-

caps-67011.html

Can't access the end - tool slides along an axle. Can't drill a hole
crossways either (well you could but it wouldn't help any).

Why do you need a socket? can't you just use a wrench on the hex nut
or whatever it is you are attempting to turn??
Old June 18th 20, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 4:09:37 AM UTC-7, maxq wrote:
I'm making a special tool out of a 3/8 drive socket. It'll have to be
turned by a wrench or gripped by vise jaws. I'll file flats on the
square end.

Should the flats be parallel with the square's sides, or have the point
in the middle? This is a high-torque situation.

Long-time lurker, infrequent poster. WAG Could you modify a socket-headed end wrench so the socket head is "just deep enough"? Like others have said, "not enough information". How much past the drive end are you actually looking to file off? IMHO Something you can file and high-torque sound mutually exclusive.
Signed, "former metals shop dropout".
Old June 18th 20, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...aps-67011.html

I'm not either, at that price

Turning a 1/4" hex shank nut driver with a Chapman hex ratchet is similar,
and difficult to control especially in the tight places where it's
necessary.