Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default External handrail fixing

On 02/08/2020 11:18, wrote:
On Sunday, 2 August 2020 10:07:22 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
We have three steps up to our front door. These are 8" high (vertical
brick) and can be awkward for those who are less mobile. I have been
thinking of putting in a handrail

If you are uncertain the brick will take the full tug load of an adult, I would put in double right-angle 'Z' brackets at the base of the handrail so you can drill through into both the vertical long side of the brick, and the horizontal surface of the step below / to the side. Then weld or bolt the upright to the brackets.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/4/45/Handrail.jpg

Owain

Agreed, though to add to an earlier post the "Multi Monti" type screws
(which need an accurate hole) are very secure, and will work close to
the edge of any reasonably good brick, especially with a deep hole. The
concrete screws which look more like wood screws should not be used near
edges.