Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default filing flats on a socket

Larry Jaques writes:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 22:09:04 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 13:06:09 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Deuce and a half split rims? PASS. Those could be deadly as you
seated the bead. I know a guy who rode one and lived. And I saw a
video of one take a guy's head clean off. If they taught you split
rim stuff, I'm not so sure they were respectful. LOL

In 1963, I was driving (actually, living in) a baffed out Metro bread
van, reliable and idestructable. And no spare. Big ol' 17" tires?
Who needs a spare?

And one night, about 8:30, 100 yards from a service station that would
be closing in half an hour, I had a flat. Went into the garage, asked
to get the tire fixed. No way, won't do it. Why not, I ask.

And the guy just points to the 20' ceiling where there is a deep
circular indentation made by an escaped split rim. I hadn't known
about split rims before that.

(All was well, though. He called some old guy out in the woods who
came into town, fetched me and my tire, took me to a dimly lit
barn/workshop with other old geezers hanging about smoking and
drinking beer, fixed the tire with nary a quibble about afterlife and
took me back to my truck. And no, he didn't have a cage.)

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada