Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bryan.bresler@gmail.com is offline

Default Best way to dig a 40' long trench to bury wires

On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 2:26:33 PM UTC-7, Texas Kingsnake wrote:
On 2015-06-28, HerHusband wrote:

Of course, rigid drain pipes or conduit aren't always flexible like
electrical cables.

Nor entirely practical. My old phone line goes through a PVC pipe.
Problem is, water gets into the pipe and when Winter time comes 'round
and there goes my landline. I hadda run a above ground line, instead.
Sometimes, still gets wet and drops out, but at least I can access it

and
fix it when it does.

BTW, one the few times WD40 is actaully helpful.

nb

Sounds like the problem there is not using wires rated for wet locations.
All PVC underground winds up with some moisture and water in it.

I agree but I wonder where the moisture comes from? Condensation? Leaks at
the entry/exit points from the ground? Well glued PVC *should* be
waterproof, should it not? From what I've read about UF wire, direct burial
should be fine. I just wish I could get away with direct burial of the
juvie living next door that's caused this need for better perimeter
lighting. wicked smile

TKS

" .... I just wish I could get away with direct burial of the
juvie living next door..." Do you have rocky soil? ;-)