Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default feckin' windows 10

On 29/07/2020 14:01, Andrew wrote:
On 29/07/2020 10:20, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 29/07/2020 00:20, Paul wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 28/07/2020 13:45, jon wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:51:39 +0100, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

In December 2019 I stopped all updates and telemetry from Microsoft.

Just had my first install of 2004 on an Acer laptop, which is now
running like treacle. Installs paused on all other machines while I
see if that recovers, or whether I need to do a roll-back.

You could turn some stuff off, but then it would be little
better than running 15063 or so.

When you smash it and break stuff, then you get some cycles back.
And Pro is better for this, because you can do some of what's needed
with GPEDIT (there are two controls to disable Windows Defender,
not just one). The controls in the GUI to disable Windows Defender
don't work, but GPEDIT does.

And this is an example of trashing Windows Update.

Â*Â*Â* rename wuaueng.dll wuaueng.dll.bak

The hard part is figuring out an environment where
you can get that to work.

The whole project is a lot like putting lipstick on a pig.

And they can ladle on abuse, faster than you can buy
faster hardware to compensate. All OSes are carrying
out "container" projects, designed to slow things
down. (Snaps, flatpaks, WSL2, you name it.) They want
to enable Hyper-V on the machines, to support their
container ideas. But a lot of machines, most of the
machines I've got, can't have Hyper-V turned on.
As SLAT/EPT support is missing in hardware. I have just
one machine with SLAT/EPT on it. Second Level Address Translation
is used to make gamer video cards work better in a
Hyper-V environment.

If Jim just wants to use the machine, he could put
ChromeOS (like a ChromeBook uses) on it. I have a
USB stick with the ChromeOS installer on it. But when
I tested that on two computers, it installed fine on one machine
but failed to install on the other. That's why I can't
tell Jim about that :-) He would say something about
fecking computers if his machine was a dud afterwards.
I was really surprised when that installer worked.
I thought for sure it would never work.

I'd sell copies of Win98, but there's not much you can
do with Win98 today. Web browsing wouldn't work. He couldn't
Youtube and stuff. Where's the fun if you can't Youtube ?

Some day when all this COVID is over, Jim can drop into
a store and test a ChromeBook and see if he likes it.
Maybe that would be less likely to brick.

I can't recommend Linux, because at least some of the
Linux distros are getting to behave like Windows. And you
still need nerd commands to escape from messes. Looking
up all those nerd commands is hard work (...systemd).

Â*Â*Â* Paul

no idea what you are talking about...

He said Win10 is getting bloated, Linux is almost as bad
but ChromeOS might be suitable.

oh right