Old July 28th 20, 12:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default feckin' windows 10

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:31:56 +0100, "Jim GM4 DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 28/07/2020 11:03, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:01:04 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:51:39 +0100, "Jim GM4 DHJ ..."
wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....

Probably.

did this not happen before?...

It's bound to have done.

fecked up a load of
drivers?....

Did it?

hate bloody computers...

No, like anything, they are generally easy if you know what you are
doing.

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

not me

Thanks for clarifying that :-)

Old July 28th 20, 12:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 10:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions of
security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable for
around an hour with update processes working in the background.

I will have another go with it this morning and will try another moose ....

What Win10 release did you update ?. 1909 or the 2004 'upgrade'?
Old July 28th 20, 12:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

I once had something similar (not a W10 update).* The mouse was
cordless and the dongle was in an additional USB port rather than the
main one.* It turned out the additional port was not recognised at the
start and moving it to the 'main' port instead resolved the problem.

No, the thing Jim is seeing, has happened before.
Many releases of Windows 10 have had the problem.

I've had different mice on the Test Machine and
the serial (RS232) mouse always worked. Occasionally
one or both USB mice would disappear.

This used to be traceable, to leaving your "allow
Windows Update to mess up your drivers" tick box.
If stuff like that is unticked, there's less trouble afoot.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

** (Picture)

https://www.tenforums.com/attachment...ings_10565.png

But I don't have a particularly magical method of restoring mouse.
Not a "surgical" method. The mouse is broken, and not everyone
has an extra mouse to plug in and try and tip things upright.

Jim would not like the other methods I have in mind.

*******

******** mouse can move the cursor for you. If you have multiple
******** mice, you might well get lucky and have a working mouse
******** again.

** Paul

got a ps2 moose and socket ? ....
Old July 28th 20, 12:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 12:28, Andrew wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions
of security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable for
around an hour with update processes working in the background.

I will have another go with it this morning and will try another moose

What Win10 release did you update ?. 1909 or the 2004 'upgrade'?

how would I know the ferkin' thing is always updating this is the first
one that has caused trouble for a while.....
Old July 28th 20, 12:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....

Probably.

did this not happen before?...

It's bound to have done.

fecked up a load of
drivers?....

Did it?

hate bloody computers...

No, like anything, they are generally easy if you know what you are
doing.

HTH (as much as most of your replies do). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Is this the same person as that rude individual 'jimk'?

not me

Thanks for clarifying that :-)

I'm nice....must be tim hates me...tee hee

Old July 28th 20, 12:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

no wait a minute that is why I'm using a USB moose the PS2 socked don't
work....bugger
Old July 28th 20, 01:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 12:28, Andrew wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions
of security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable
for around an hour with update processes working in the background.

I will have another go with it this morning and will try another
moose ....

What Win10 release did you update ?. 1909 or the 2004 'upgrade'?

how would I know the ferkin' thing is always updating this is the first
one that has caused trouble for a while.....

winver

is the command to use to determine "version.patchlevel" .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...ersion_history

WINVER Year/Month

10240.xxx 1507
10586.xxx 1511
14393.xxx 1607
15063.xxx 1703
16299.xxx 1709
17134.xxx 1803
17763.xxx 1809
18362.xxx 1903
18363.xxx 1909
19041.xxx 2004 === Jim is here, xxx will be the
last patch (Patch Tuesday) arriving

Jim did W10 Install only recently, new media used,
no crusty older disc. So "winver" dialog box should say
19041.

Paul
Old July 28th 20, 01:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:51:39 +0100, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

In December 2019 I stopped all updates and telemetry from Microsoft.
Old July 28th 20, 01:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 13:45, jon wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:51:39 +0100, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

In December 2019 I stopped all updates and telemetry from Microsoft.

Just had my first install of 2004 on an Acer laptop, which is now
running like treacle. Installs paused on all other machines while I see
if that recovers, or whether I need to do a roll-back.
Old July 28th 20, 01:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 10:22, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 08:51, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
anybody just had an update and now their mouse has stopped
working?.....did this not happen before?...fecked up a load of
drivers?.....hate bloody computers...

This is the update with all the improvements and plugs the millions of
security leaks.

The last time MS did a major update on my machine it was unusable for
around an hour with update processes working in the background.

2004? Easily the worst effect on subsequent performance that I have seen.