Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default waterproofing a wooden planter

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 08:51:37 -0400, Frank wrote:

On 7/29/2020 7:51 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 06:29:52 -0400, Bob Vela
wrote:

On 7/27/20 11:18 PM, Obiwan wrote:

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with plastic sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product might be better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but it's too expensive. Can I use a spray on truck
bedliner product? The planters will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that makes a difference.

Build your flower boxes out of PVC and you wont have to worry about rot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...AWS6/205309788

I have never seen that in 4 x 8 sheets ! .. so I checked-out
Lowes Canada ...

https://www.lowes.ca/product/appeara...ty-trim-310630

.. they make you guess at the width and thickness - :-) :-)
quite a useful web description - DUH !
but it does say 8 ft. long at least ...
One of the customer comments said 1/4 x 6 inch x 8 ft. @ $ 40.
John T.

Many years ago I had a redwood picnic table on my deck that started to
rot in places so I took it apart and made a planter out of it to grow
tomatoes. I had lined it with polyethylene to keep water in. It lasted
several years but eventually rotted out as I think eventually any wooden
product would. OP wants to use what he has and should at least get a
few years use. I ended up with large plastic pots that lasted a long
time and were still in use until I got my new Trex deck when I decided
to remove them.

Cedar or treated wood planter boxes should last for years if
sized to to hold a plastic planter - with breathing room between
the plastic planter and the sides & bottom of the box.
.. and, of course proper drainage holes in the bottom.
This method seems so much better ; long-lasting ; and
easier on the gardener - less fuss.
John T.