Posted to alt.home.repair

Default waterproofing a wooden planter

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with plastic
sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product might be
better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but it's too
expensive. Can I use a spray on truck bedliner product? The planters
will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that makes a
difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/20 10:18 PM, Obiwan wrote:

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with plastic
sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product might be
better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but it's too
expensive. Can I use a spray on truck bedliner product? The planters
will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that makes a
difference.

Would a small trash can fit by some odd chance?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 6:24:19 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/27/20 10:18 PM, Obiwan wrote:

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with plastic
sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product might be
better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but it's too
expensive. Can I use a spray on truck bedliner product? The planters
will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that makes a
difference.

Would a small trash can fit by some odd chance?

Fiberglass resin, thin, painted on with a brush. Could put in a few small
PVC couplings or similar in holes in the bottom so that excess water can
run out without rotting the wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2020 5:24 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/27/20 10:18 PM, Obiwan wrote:

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with
plastic sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product
might be better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but
it's too expensive. Can I use a spray on truck bedliner product? The
planters will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that
makes a difference.

Â*Â*Â*Â* Would a small trash can fit by some odd chance?

Not that I can see. These are about 14 inches wide and 32 inches long,
sort of the shape of a horse trough, if you remember those from old
westerns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/20 3:42 PM, Obiwan wrote:
On 7/28/2020 5:24 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/27/20 10:18 PM, Obiwan wrote:

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with
plastic sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product
might be better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but
it's too expensive. Can I use a spray on truck bedliner product? The
planters will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that
makes a difference.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Would a small trash can fit by some odd chance?

Not that I can see. These are about 14 inches wide and 32 inches long,
sort of the shape of a horse trough, if you remember those from old
westerns.

So get a larger bag and cut it down.

They range in size up to those big honkin' heavy duty 55 gallon
mf'ers...or outdoor leaf/yard debris bags or even those contractor
cleanup bags which are even bigger and heavier gauge ;-)

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2020 7:21 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 6:24:19 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/27/20 10:18 PM, Obiwan wrote:

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with plastic
sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product might be
better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but it's too
expensive. Can I use a spray on truck bedliner product? The planters
will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that makes a
difference.

Would a small trash can fit by some odd chance?

Fiberglass resin, thin, painted on with a brush. Could put in a few small
PVC couplings or similar in holes in the bottom so that excess water can
run out without rotting the wood.

Wife likes that idea very much. We never worked with fiberglass before
but it seems similar to epoxy.

Found this one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/3M-20122-Purp.../dp/B003ODJ8J4

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2020 7:42 PM, Obiwan wrote:
On 7/28/2020 7:21 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 6:24:19 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/27/20 10:18 PM, Obiwan wrote:

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with
plastic
sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product might be
better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but it's too
expensive. Can I use a spray on truck bedliner product? The planters
will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that makes a
difference.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Would a small trash can fit by some odd chance?

Fiberglass resin, thin, painted on with a brush.Â* Could put in a few
small
PVC couplings or similar in holes in the bottom so that excess water can
run out without rotting the wood.

Wife likes that idea very much. We never worked with fiberglass before
but it seems similar to epoxy.

Found this one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/3M-20122-Purp.../dp/B003ODJ8J4

Might work but I would put in some fiberglass scrim to keep it intact
from thermal expansion and contraction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2020 5:21 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 6:24:19 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/27/20 10:18 PM, Obiwan wrote:

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with plastic
sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product might be
better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but it's too
expensive. Can I use a spray on truck bedliner product? The planters
will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that makes a
difference.

Would a small trash can fit by some odd chance?

Fiberglass resin, thin, painted on with a brush. Could put in a few small
PVC couplings or similar in holes in the bottom so that excess water can
run out without rotting the wood.

A better choice might be penetrating epoxy like "rotfix".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2020 7:00 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

I had to look up what is scrim. haha
thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2020 9:15 PM, Bob F wrote:
[...]

Thanks. There is no rot at the moment, just the usual small gaps where
the boards are put together. Besides, that stuff looks expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2020 4:02 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/28/20 3:42 PM, Obiwan wrote:
[...]

She's opposed to any kind of plastic liner, such as garbage bags or the
heavy plastic that we have in a roll. She wants something that she won't
accidentally rip or poke holes in as she's gardening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2020 8:08 PM, Obiwan wrote:
On 7/28/2020 9:15 PM, Bob F wrote:
[...]

It is not cheap, but is designed to soak into the wood. It seals the
grain well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It is epoxy. You can find it at HD, Walmart, etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/20 11:18 PM, Obiwan wrote:

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with plastic sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product might be better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but it's too expensive. Can I use a spray on truck
bedliner product? The planters will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that makes a difference.

Build your flower boxes out of PVC and you wont have to worry about rot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...AWS6/205309788

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 06:29:52 -0400, Bob Vela
wrote:

On 7/27/20 11:18 PM, Obiwan wrote:

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with plastic sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product might be better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but it's too expensive. Can I use a spray on truck
bedliner product? The planters will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that makes a difference.

Build your flower boxes out of PVC and you wont have to worry about rot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...AWS6/205309788

I have never seen that in 4 x 8 sheets ! .. so I checked-out
Lowes Canada ...

https://www.lowes.ca/product/appeara...ty-trim-310630

... they make you guess at the width and thickness - :-) :-)
quite a useful web description - DUH !
but it does say 8 ft. long at least ...
One of the customer comments said 1/4 x 6 inch x 8 ft. @ $ 40.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Many years ago I had a redwood picnic table on my deck that started to
rot in places so I took it apart and made a planter out of it to grow
tomatoes. I had lined it with polyethylene to keep water in. It lasted
several years but eventually rotted out as I think eventually any wooden
product would. OP wants to use what he has and should at least get a
few years use. I ended up with large plastic pots that lasted a long
time and were still in use until I got my new Trex deck when I decided
to remove them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Cedar or treated wood planter boxes should last for years if
sized to to hold a plastic planter - with breathing room between
the plastic planter and the sides & bottom of the box.
.. and, of course proper drainage holes in the bottom.
This method seems so much better ; long-lasting ; and
easier on the gardener - less fuss.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2020 11:43 PM, trader_4 wrote:
It is epoxy. You can find it at HD, Walmart, etc

"fiberglass resin" usually refers to polyester resin. Epoxy is
considerably more expensive.