Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Wax on sunroofs

On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 15:00:50 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 06:18:43 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

Have just been polishing my car - and the wax says not to use on glass.

I understand that wax can cause funny things to happen on windscreens, so
fair enough as a bit of advice. But is it sensible for a glass sunroof or
panoramic?

This is just a thin wax spray wax - not a polish. It has no abrasiveness
whatsoever.

Isn't that advice just so that rain will wet the windscreen and allow
wipers to sweep it away smoothly, leaving a continuous film of water,
rather than the windscreen being water-repellant and always looking
greasy in wet weather, and perhaps interfering with the driver's
vision? I doubt if it matters with a sun roof.

What about those water-repellent coatings that you can have applied to your
windscreen and side windows so the rain forms globules which blow off the
screen as long as the car is moving? I had it done to one of my cars when I
bought it, and for about a year I didn't need to use my wipers in normal
rain - though I still needed them if the windscreen got dirty and I needed
the wipers to wipe off the dirt, otherwise it dried in dirty streaks.

I'm not so much looking for an end result, more checking whether there are any strong reasons to make sure I do (or don't) apply it. If it is a "Doesn't really matter", then I'll probably apply it on one car and not the other and see how it goes.