Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wax on sunroofs

Have just been polishing my car - and the wax says not to use on glass.

I understand that wax can cause funny things to happen on windscreens, so fair enough as a bit of advice. But is it sensible for a glass sunroof or panoramic?

This is just a thin wax spray wax - not a polish. It has no abrasiveness whatsoever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 06:18:43 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

Have just been polishing my car - and the wax says not to use on glass.

I understand that wax can cause funny things to happen on windscreens, so
fair enough as a bit of advice. But is it sensible for a glass sunroof or
panoramic?

This is just a thin wax spray wax - not a polish. It has no abrasiveness
whatsoever.

Isn't that advice just so that rain will wet the windscreen and allow
wipers to sweep it away smoothly, leaving a continuous film of water,
rather than the windscreen being water-repellant and always looking
greasy in wet weather, and perhaps interfering with the driver's
vision? I doubt if it matters with a sun roof.

What about those water-repellent coatings that you can have applied to your
windscreen and side windows so the rain forms globules which blow off the
screen as long as the car is moving? I had it done to one of my cars when I
bought it, and for about a year I didn't need to use my wipers in normal
rain - though I still needed them if the windscreen got dirty and I needed
the wipers to wipe off the dirt, otherwise it dried in dirty streaks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'm not so much looking for an end result, more checking whether there are any strong reasons to make sure I do (or don't) apply it. If it is a "Doesn't really matter", then I'll probably apply it on one car and not the other and see how it goes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

What about those water-repellent coatings that you can have applied to
your windscreen and side windows so the rain forms globules which blow
off the screen

they're ok, providing you realise when you start using rainX or
whatever, you've got to keep applying them, if you stop you end up in a
worse situation where it doesn't clear by itself and it goes streaky if
you do try to use the wipers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
Have just been polishing my car - and the wax says not to use on glass.

I understand that wax can cause funny things to happen on windscreens,
so fair enough as a bit of advice. But is it sensible for a glass
sunroof or panoramic?

This is just a thin wax spray wax - not a polish. It has no abrasiveness
whatsoever.

Wash wax doesn't say anything about keeping it from glass - other than the
windscreen. And maybe not even that.

Glass is pretty impervious compared to paint?

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 15:57:06 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

What about those water-repellent coatings that you can have applied to
your windscreen and side windows so the rain forms globules which blow
off the screen

they're ok, providing you realise when you start using rainX or
whatever, you've got to keep applying them, if you stop you end up in a
worse situation where it doesn't clear by itself and it goes streaky if
you do try to use the wipers.

It is also difficult finding any of those products which has even vaguely consistent reviews. Well, at the awful, waste of money end of the scale, not so difficult. But very few have believable and generally positive reviews.

Plus the prices are astonishing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 17:08:32 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
Have just been polishing my car - and the wax says not to use on glass.

I understand that wax can cause funny things to happen on windscreens,
so fair enough as a bit of advice. But is it sensible for a glass
sunroof or panoramic?

This is just a thin wax spray wax - not a polish. It has no abrasiveness
whatsoever.

Wash wax doesn't say anything about keeping it from glass - other than the
windscreen. And maybe not even that.

Glass is pretty impervious compared to paint?

Maybe on both points - but this spray expressly says not to apply to glass. I'm trying to ensure that means what I think it does, not to windows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

What about those water-repellent coatings that you can have applied to
your windscreen and side windows so the rain forms globules which blow
off the screen

they're ok, providing you realise when you start using rainX or
whatever, you've got to keep applying them, if you stop you end up in a
worse situation where it doesn't clear by itself and it goes streaky if
you do try to use the wipers.

I use RainX on my wrist watch, on the glass :-)
As a joke.

If I can't use it, might as well make the watch shiny.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Wrote in message:
Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

What about those water-repellent coatings that you can have applied to
your windscreen and side windows so the rain forms globules which blow
off the screen

they're ok, providing you realise when you start using rainX or
whatever, you've got to keep applying them, if you stop you end up in a
worse situation where it doesn't clear by itself and it goes streaky if
you do try to use the wipers.

I use RainX on my wrist watch, on the glass :-)
As a joke.

If I can't use it, might as well make the watch shiny.

Paul

Does anyone else get it?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 14:31, Chris Hogg wrote:

Isn't that advice just so that rain will wet the windscreen and allow
wipers to sweep it away smoothly, leaving a continuous film of water,
rather than the windscreen being water-repellant and always looking
greasy in wet weather, and perhaps interfering with the driver's
vision? I doubt if it matters with a sun roof.

+1
On the occasional use of a spinning brush car wash, with all the
trimmings, I find that afterwards the windscreen has to be cleared of
the wax with a good scrub of detergent. I find the problem with a waxed
windscreen is in very light rain when using the wipers in single sweep
intermittent mode. The windscreen never appears completely clear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 July 2020 08:17:13 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 28/07/2020 14:31, Chris Hogg wrote:

Isn't that advice just so that rain will wet the windscreen and allow
wipers to sweep it away smoothly, leaving a continuous film of water,
rather than the windscreen being water-repellant and always looking
greasy in wet weather, and perhaps interfering with the driver's
vision? I doubt if it matters with a sun roof.

+1
On the occasional use of a spinning brush car wash, with all the
trimmings, I find that afterwards the windscreen has to be cleared of
the wax with a good scrub of detergent. I find the problem with a waxed
windscreen is in very light rain when using the wipers in single sweep
intermittent mode. The windscreen never appears completely clear.

That is one of the reasons I have seen quoted. Especially if used generously.

It also reported to affect wiper blades.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
Paul Wrote in message:
Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

What about those water-repellent coatings that you can have applied to
your windscreen and side windows so the rain forms globules which blow
off the screen

they're ok, providing you realise when you start using rainX or
whatever, you've got to keep applying them, if you stop you end up in a
worse situation where it doesn't clear by itself and it goes streaky if
you do try to use the wipers.

I use RainX on my wrist watch, on the glass :-)
As a joke.

If I can't use it, might as well make the watch shiny.

Paul

Does anyone else get it?

Well, what else can you do with it. It just
sits in the cupboard. At the current rate of
consumption, should last a thousand years.

Paul