Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Dismantling a Bosch hedge trimmer

wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 02:17:05 UTC+1, Paul wrote:

You wouldn't expect to be able to move a motor, unless
there is some slack in the wire, and to get slack means
pulling wires out of their retainers. Don't forget to
put the Electricians Knot back properly on its post
or restraint, to prevent wire from being pulled out
of the housing later.

I don't think I've ever seen an appliance that used an underwriter's knot in lieu of a proper cordgrip. And I've seen a lot of historic appliances.

NT

My lamp in the bedroom has that knot, because
I made the lamp in shop class :-) That's where
we were taught to use the knot.

I've got some other item here, that has a knot inside
and a post it goes around. It was put there to secure
something inside from moving.

If you see something restrained, just put it back
like you found it. That's why you take pictures,
if you don't make a habit of repairing electrical goods.

Another example, would be replacing LCD CCFL lamps in
the panel. Where you must put the "foil materials"
you find, back exactly, because the foils have an
electrical function. Even though they look decorative.

And be careful where you use solder, as solder is
not to be used in every location in an appliance.
Solder is not good at mechanical loads (it's not glue),
and it melts if the electricals it's applied to get
hot enough. It also makes stranded copper wire too
stiff and encourages wire breaks where it is used.
If, for example, wire near it flexes and bends a lot.

There are times that I'd say to myself "wouldn't a dab
of solder look good there", but then I go through the
rules list and "nope" is the answer. I have to use something
that crimps, and try to use the right crimping tool as well.

Paul