Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dismantling a Bosch hedge trimmer

Does anyone know how to dismantle a Bosch hedge trimmer?

I have an AHS 55-26 trimmer -- a superb machine. However it stopped
working the other day - dead as a dodo (and no traumas such as being
dropped). I've had it 3 years; it gets pretty heavy use.

Funny thing was, when I plugged it in to try it again 2 days ago, it
started up fine. I went to the hedge, started cutting, and a minute
later it stopped dead again (btw: the cutters are _not_ jammed).

I decided that maybe the brushes need replacing, so set about taking it
apart. (I have an exploded view from a spare parts dealer's site)

It's looking impossible, so far, without dismantling every single
component of it. And in any case I'm now stymied by a circlip which is
holding the cutter assembly in place.

I will ask a mate if he has circlip pliers (?), but meanwhile: has
anyone here done this? Is there "an easier way" to get at the brushes
(which I can almost see through the vents).

It's extremely frustrating: as I said, a superb tool, rather expensive,
and buggered because of (probably) a tiny electrical fault. It is
almost as though Bosch build in this wastage: I had exactly the same
thing happen to me on my previous trimmer, which was exactly the same
model, and was also 3 years old at the time. The remedy then was to buy
_this_ one :-(

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 16:21, Another John wrote:
[...]

Friend of mine brought the power unit from his lawnmower over as it
exhibited these symptoms. He had cut the cable and never noticed/...

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Always worth trying the flex next to the cutter in all possible
orientations as internal breaks within the flex are very common. Id
certainly check that before diving inside.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 16:21, Another John wrote:
Does anyone know how to dismantle a Bosch hedge trimmer?

I have an AHS 55-26 trimmer -- a superb machine. However it stopped
working the other day - dead as a dodo (and no traumas such as being
dropped). I've had it 3 years; it gets pretty heavy use.

Funny thing was, when I plugged it in to try it again 2 days ago, it
started up fine. I went to the hedge, started cutting, and a minute
later it stopped dead again (btw: the cutters are _not_ jammed).

I assume you checked the mains plug first to ensure that one of the
wires has not become loose?

Dismantling a Bosch hedge trimmer with circlip removed with screwdriver
https://youtu.be/VgIsSnb6AiM?t=378
Possibly not your model but the construction is probably the same witn
respect to the blade fixings.

Reassembly of blade/circlip with a small gotcha (watch the next few
minutes of)
https://youtu.be/UrOhAwuDR_U?t=77

part 1 to 3 of the repair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K797IBvqa54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgIsSnb6AiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrOhAwuDR_U

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

On 20/07/2020 16:21, Another John wrote:
Does anyone know how to dismantle a Bosch hedge trimmer?
.... ....

I assume you checked the mains plug first to ensure that one of the
wires has not become loose?

Thanks for all this Alan -- firstly, Yes: I got well used to testing all
the mains supply weaknesses when my _first_ AHS55 died, 3 years ago!

And thanks especially for all of these links below: I would love to know
what you googled for? Because none of the keyword combinations I have
used brought up anything so useful-looking as these!! Which I'm now
going to look at :-)

John

Dismantling a Bosch hedge trimmer with circlip removed with screwdriver
https://youtu.be/VgIsSnb6AiM?t=378
Possibly not your model but the construction is probably the same witn
respect to the blade fixings.

Reassembly of blade/circlip with a small gotcha (watch the next few
minutes of)
https://youtu.be/UrOhAwuDR_U?t=77

part 1 to 3 of the repair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K797IBvqa54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgIsSnb6AiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrOhAwuDR_U

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:

On 20/07/2020 16:21, Another John wrote:
Does anyone know how to dismantle a Bosch hedge trimmer?
.... ....

I assume you checked the mains plug first to ensure that one of the
wires has not become loose?

Thanks for all this Alan -- firstly, Yes: I got well used to testing all
the mains supply weaknesses when my _first_ AHS55 died, 3 years ago!

And thanks especially for all of these links below: I would love to know
what you googled for? Because none of the keyword combinations I have
used brought up anything so useful-looking as these!! Which I'm now
going to look at :-)

John

So far, the amount of "dis-assemblage" seen in the video,
does not look abnormal for a hand tool.

Only on some older hand tool, might you have seen
more attention paid to making servicing of a particular
portion, really easy. Today, the plastic body holds all
the bits and pieces in position, and so all the screws
have to come out, so any one piece can be dislodged.

You wouldn't expect to be able to move a motor, unless
there is some slack in the wire, and to get slack means
pulling wires out of their retainers. Don't forget to
put the Electricians Knot back properly on its post
or restraint, to prevent wire from being pulled out
of the housing later.

If you're unfamiliar with a tool, take a digital camera
and shoot a picture on the first removal of screws. That
way, if there is some "trick" involved, you'll have a
high res picture for later to look at. There is usually
a preferred side to lay it on, so the trigger doesn't fall
out before you've had a chance to shoot a picture.

I will say though, that my hedge trimmer doesn't use
a circlip. I've had at least two replacement blades on
it, and no brush changes.

The last circlip I removed (when I replaced the push
handle on the electric lawn mower a few weeks ago),
I used the blunt end of my linemans pliers, and pushing
on the arms of the circlip, it came off easily. I was expecting
a big fight, but it didn't really resist.

https://n7.nextpng.com/sticker-png/7...-thumbnail.png

Circlips are a pest, when you can't get tools at
them. When there's no place to work. And those
will also be the circlips, that just don't want to
come off.

They also make circlips that can be damaged by
your removal technique. Some of them don't "spring back"
and end up non-planar instead.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hang on, how can you not notice having a cut cable? There will be a nick in
it as you go along it. Mind you one lawn mower I had had to have its cable
replaced after a year since the plastic in the cable went very hard near the
end and the copper inside fractured cos it was flexing over a short
distance, kind of now it works, now it wont. Crap cable, but even getting
into the mower to get at the cable joint was a bit of a mensa test. Probably
like that to stop little johhny opening it up.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
[...]

"Women actually are capable of being far more than the feminists will let
them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OP here. "It's fixed!!" (kind of -- see below). I said:

[...]

It's extremely frustrating...I had exactly the same
thing happen to me on my previous trimmer, which was exactly the same
model, and was also 3 years old at the time. The remedy then was to buy
_this_ one :-(

Well: a qualified "it's fixed!!" -- through the well tried and tested
method of taking the thing apart, looking at it, poking it, blowing the
dust off it, shrugging in mystification, and then putting it back
together.

By far the biggest challenge was getting it apart; there's nothing in
Google/Youtube for dismantling this particular model, although I could
garner general hints from one or two of the hits that there are, for
"hedgetrimmers".

I have the advantage that (as explained above) I have *two* of these,
the first one having packed in 3 years ago. So I used that as a
potentially sacrificial trial.

Today I actually, finally, managed to disassemble it. I bought some
circlip pliers: they were too big (thanks to Homebase for giving me my
money back, no quibbles). *Then* I discovered, through desperation,
that I could get the circlip off using my Swiss Army knife.

No more details about disassembly - let me know here (_not_ via email)
if you want to know more.

I discovered that the brushes are in fine fettle - only about 1/4 worn
by the look of them (after about 3 years' hard use). So why the hell did
it stop?

I'm not any kind of electrical fellow, and so have no circuit testers
etc. I just poked the switches that I found, and eventually decided that
*maybe* the main ON switch (the big orange one in the handle) had lost
its alignment with the tiny electrical switch that it bumps, when you
squeeze the handle to start cutting. But hardly likely, I figured. But
anyway ...

I half-put it back together again (without the blade assembly, and not
entirely screwed up), and squeezed the handle: for the first time in 3
years, it burst into life. What's more, once I'd put it all together
properly, it *still* works.

The biggest win here is not so much that it works again, but that I now
know how to take one of these apart, and with confidence.

I hope this was of some interest to one or two!

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 20:54:46 +0100, Another John wrote:

I just poked the switches that I found, and eventually decided that
*maybe* the main ON switch (the big orange one in the handle) had lost
its alignment with the tiny electrical switch that it bumps, when you
squeeze the handle to start cutting. But hardly likely, I figured. But
anyway ...

Not that uncommon. Trouble is often the cause of a misalignment is
due to some small bit plastic guide that has bust and is impossible
to repair. It'll work for a while then get out of alignment again and
stop. If you're out of luck it means a disassembly to realign, with
luck it's s just a fiddle of the part.

I half-put it back together again (without the blade assembly, and not
entirely screwed up), and squeezed the handle: for the first time in 3
years, it burst into life. What's more, once I'd put it all together
properly, it *still* works.

Always a bounus!

The biggest win here is not so much that it works again, but that I now
know how to take one of these apart, and with confidence.

And you can now fix the one that you bought three years ago when the
one you just fixed stopped working.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

I'm not any kind of electrical fellow, and so have no circuit testers
etc. I just poked the switches that I found, and eventually decided that
*maybe* the main ON switch (the big orange one in the handle) had lost
its alignment with the tiny electrical switch that it bumps, when you
squeeze the handle to start cutting. But hardly likely, I figured. But
anyway ...

It can be a broken wire somewhere.

There are some brush holders, where the brush
holder is an intermittent. And moving the rotor
of the motor a bit might wake it up. The brushes
where a braided copper wire is embedded in the
carbon brush, those don't do that. It's the
brushes that are just a carbon block spring-loaded
into a metal tube, those can be intermittent.

Also look for discolored wires, or soot around
switches, for hints of stress. A little stress
is to be expected.

Products which use "dynamic braking", and they
remove power to the motor, then short out the
motor to use the generator effect for braking -
that forces the brushes to carry 3X the normal
current flow level. Using the brake then, is
in a sense, more stressful than the brushes
handle during normal running. You might see more
sparks fly off brush/commutator during (electrical) braking.
Fast braking is used on electric lawnmowers. The
hedge trimmer doesn't really need it (lots of friction).

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 02:17:05 UTC+1, Paul wrote:

You wouldn't expect to be able to move a motor, unless
there is some slack in the wire, and to get slack means
pulling wires out of their retainers. Don't forget to
put the Electricians Knot back properly on its post
or restraint, to prevent wire from being pulled out
of the housing later.

I don't think I've ever seen an appliance that used an underwriter's knot in lieu of a proper cordgrip. And I've seen a lot of historic appliances.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 02:17:05 UTC+1, Paul wrote:

You wouldn't expect to be able to move a motor, unless
there is some slack in the wire, and to get slack means
pulling wires out of their retainers. Don't forget to
put the Electricians Knot back properly on its post
or restraint, to prevent wire from being pulled out
of the housing later.

I don't think I've ever seen an appliance that used an underwriter's knot in lieu of a proper cordgrip. And I've seen a lot of historic appliances.

NT

My lamp in the bedroom has that knot, because
I made the lamp in shop class :-) That's where
we were taught to use the knot.

I've got some other item here, that has a knot inside
and a post it goes around. It was put there to secure
something inside from moving.

If you see something restrained, just put it back
like you found it. That's why you take pictures,
if you don't make a habit of repairing electrical goods.

Another example, would be replacing LCD CCFL lamps in
the panel. Where you must put the "foil materials"
you find, back exactly, because the foils have an
electrical function. Even though they look decorative.

And be careful where you use solder, as solder is
not to be used in every location in an appliance.
Solder is not good at mechanical loads (it's not glue),
and it melts if the electricals it's applied to get
hot enough. It also makes stranded copper wire too
stiff and encourages wire breaks where it is used.
If, for example, wire near it flexes and bends a lot.

There are times that I'd say to myself "wouldn't a dab
of solder look good there", but then I go through the
rules list and "nope" is the answer. I have to use something
that crimps, and try to use the right crimping tool as well.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 July 2020 04:02:56 UTC+1, Paul wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 02:17:05 UTC+1, Paul wrote:

You wouldn't expect to be able to move a motor, unless
there is some slack in the wire, and to get slack means
pulling wires out of their retainers. Don't forget to
put the Electricians Knot back properly on its post
or restraint, to prevent wire from being pulled out
of the housing later.

I don't think I've ever seen an appliance that used an underwriter's knot in lieu of a proper cordgrip. And I've seen a lot of historic appliances.

NT

My lamp in the bedroom has that knot, because
I made the lamp in shop class :-) That's where
we were taught to use the knot.

I've got some other item here, that has a knot inside
and a post it goes around. It was put there to secure
something inside from moving.

The underwriter's knot doesn't stop wires moving, that's why it's never used here. I gather it's something from US history where effective cordgrips have not been adopted to the same extent.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 July 2020 01:39:42 UTC+1, Paul wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

The underwriter's knot doesn't stop wires moving, that's why it's never used here. I gather it's something from US history where effective cordgrips have not been adopted to the same extent.

NT

For the lamp project, the base is solid pine, with holes
provided for running the wire. And shop class had no
assortment of fixings, so you basically wire up the
light socket, then place a knot to prevent the cord
from being pulled out (hot).

If it had started as a commercial item, the fittings
would be different.

When you repair an electric kettle here, it already
has the correct restraint on the base, and after you
remove a piece of cord to get rid of the cord break,
the cord is placed back inside the restraint. And the
cord won't move through one of those.

Something like this, for three conductor flat cord.
These can be recycled, so you don't need a new one.

http://heyco.com/blog/strain-relief-...s-life-easier/

Paul

I'm not overly fond of those things, but they work more or less.

Here when the concept of cordgrip was on its way in there were 2 types mainly used. One was to tie the strings in the flex together, the other was to put a simple knot in the whole cord. Both stopped the thing being pulled out of the appliance, but neither immobilised the wires at their connections.

Nowadays it's either a screwed down plastic strip, a serpentine groove for the cord or a moulded on bushing. Less often it's those things above. All immobilise the final joints.

Up to the 1950s there were various wacky schemes that didn't work well, especially on mains plugs, but they're all long gone thankfully. The worst one I saw was an IDC mains plug: a prong on each pin pierced the unstripped mains wire, and was held together with horrifyingly low force - a fire waiting to happen. IIRC the prongs doubled as a cordgrip of sorts.

NT

Strange problem with Bosch hedge trimmer Roger Mills UK diy 7 April 28th 20 02:44 PM
Which Hedge Trimmer Deep Thought UK diy 14 May 1st 05 01:29 AM
Hedge trimmer D & J G Home Repair 0 April 30th 05 07:04 PM
Troubleshooting help for Deere 172 Gas Hedge Trimmer? Joe S Home Repair 0 March 3rd 05 03:51 PM
broken switch on a bosch hedge-trimmer billy Woodworking 0 February 26th 05 11:37 PM