Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Ethernet link

On 22/07/2020 12:13, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/07/2020 17:14, ARW wrote:
On 21/07/2020 15:36, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Some time ago, I asked about setting up a link between two properties
- over and down a road. Not a huge distance. Line of sight except
when a lorry is delivering something.

A direct connection using a standard LAN extender proved not to be up
to it, so I decided to do it properly. Got a pair of devices and set
them up.

TP-LINK CPE510 Pharos Outdoor 5Ghz 13dBi WiFi 4 Point-to-Point PtP Link

Easy to set up. Simple POE. Can be used outside.

I found that one can be placed on a window sill, so a pane of glass
is in the way. The other is in the garage, through the single-brick
wall immediately adjacent to the garage door. Despite this, they work
very well. If they didn't, I have options for putting them actually
outside. (I am sure that for a greater distance, it would have to be
outside.)

In the remote property, an Ethernet cable from the CPE510 to an older
Netgear LAN extender/AP covers the whole property just fine - on both
5 and 2 GHz. Things like printing and file sharing are exactly the
same as in the prime property.

I know this is a more costly approach, but I have future plans which
justify doing this. It also feels good that it worked straight away
and did not need playing about and fettling. No feeling of good money
after bad because the first idea didn't work.

What do you call "not a great distance"?

I have something similar to do but not at the price of the CPE510.

TBH I was considering using a socket wifi extender. Possibly something
from here

https://www.bgelectrical.uk/wifi-sockets

WiFi extenders ideally need to be placed where they can both "see" the
original network well, and also cover the area they are extending to
wifi to. So the ideal point often being somewhere around midway between
locations. So for this application, in the middle of the adjacent
neighbour's house!

All I want is the next door but one neighbours to have access to my
wifi. And there is a good reason for this.

Access to your wifi, or access to your internet service? (in many cases
one would come with the other, but that does not need to be the case).

It will be my internet service. It's for the gf's lad so that he will
stop and his grandparents more often and leave us in peace.

He uses it ATM but the signal is weak in the house.

--
Adam