Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ethernet link

Some time ago, I asked about setting up a link between two properties - over and down a road. Not a huge distance. Line of sight except when a lorry is delivering something.

A direct connection using a standard LAN extender proved not to be up to it, so I decided to do it properly. Got a pair of devices and set them up.

TP-LINK CPE510 Pharos Outdoor 5Ghz 13dBi WiFi 4 Point-to-Point PtP Link

Easy to set up. Simple POE. Can be used outside.

I found that one can be placed on a window sill, so a pane of glass is in the way. The other is in the garage, through the single-brick wall immediately adjacent to the garage door. Despite this, they work very well. If they didn't, I have options for putting them actually outside. (I am sure that for a greater distance, it would have to be outside.)

In the remote property, an Ethernet cable from the CPE510 to an older Netgear LAN extender/AP covers the whole property just fine - on both 5 and 2 GHz. Things like printing and file sharing are exactly the same as in the prime property.

I know this is a more costly approach, but I have future plans which justify doing this. It also feels good that it worked straight away and did not need playing about and fettling. No feeling of good money after bad because the first idea didn't work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/07/2020 15:36, polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

What do you call "not a great distance"?

I have something similar to do but not at the price of the CPE510.

TBH I was considering using a socket wifi extender. Possibly something
from here

https://www.bgelectrical.uk/wifi-sockets

All I want is the next door but one neighbours to have access to my
wifi. And there is a good reason for this.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:14:31 +0100, ARW wrote:

https://www.bgelectrical.uk/wifi-sockets

All I want is the next door but one neighbours to have access to my
wifi. And there is a good reason for this.

With another house between you I doubt that a simple "extender" will
work. An extender needs to be able to "see" your WiFi AP, which might
be hard with a WiFi socket stuffed into the bottom of a wall.
Extenders also half the throughput.

Is there any line of sight path between the two properties? There are
some cheaper TP-Link kits on Broadband Buyer. Finding a couple of
cheap APs with a detachable aerial and abilty to work in bridge mode
is an option but then you need to buy external aerials...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 17:14:32 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
All I want is the next door but one neighbours to have access to my
wifi. And there is a good reason for this.

And you can't run a cable over the next-door neighbour?

One access point may well be enough if it's mounted on the outside of your house on a wall facing or alongside the recipient.

This is the cheaper version at £35 (2.4 GHz only)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-LINK/283955146463

And you can get cheap access points on Ebay for a tenner up. I won't recommend one as some of them are locked to their own management software.

If your neighbour can also use an external USB wifi receiver near his external wall facing you.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/07/2020 17:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:14:31 +0100, ARW wrote:

https://www.bgelectrical.uk/wifi-sockets

All I want is the next door but one neighbours to have access to my
wifi. And there is a good reason for this.

With another house between you I doubt that a simple "extender" will
work. An extender needs to be able to "see" your WiFi AP, which might
be hard with a WiFi socket stuffed into the bottom of a wall.
Extenders also half the throughput.

Is there any line of sight path between the two properties?

Yes. 20m from my router to their back door. Window my side to wall their
side.

There are
some cheaper TP-Link kits on Broadband Buyer. Finding a couple of
cheap APs with a detachable aerial and abilty to work in bridge mode
is an option but then you need to buy external aerials...

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Maybe 100 metres or so.

I did try a LAN extender - and we have two plug-in range extenders in use already for printer and TV. None was able to work at the required distance. At least, not through glass. The best I achieved was being able to see the network but not connect to it.

The price is more than I wanted to pay but when I looked at the timescale (need it asap), and future uses I have planned, I went for it.

The various extenders we've got are all pan-directional (or towards that - the flexi-aerials might allow some directionality) so even small increases in distance make a big difference. Whereas this CPE510 is very directional. When I first put it up, got it working, then inadvertently moved it a little and it stopped. Had to adjust it back. Easy to do, and not ridiculously fussy, but very different.

Have you looked at the slightly less expensive CPE210?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 20:17:02 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
And you can't run a cable over the next-door neighbour?

Probably can.
Not sure if I have permission to run it over their land.

I think you're allowed to if you ask them :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 19:35:51 +0100, ARW wrote:

Is there any line of sight path between the two properties?

Yes. 20m from my router to their back door. Window my side to wall their
side.

With your router in your window the signal might get through the
wall.

Best to do a RF survey. Can your phone, when in the neighbours house
behind the wall: See your AP? How strong is that signal relative to
others on the same channel? What What other channels are in use? What
are the signal strengths there? Want to pick a channel(*) where your
AP is one of the stronger signals.

(*) On 2.4 GHz only channels 1, 6 & 11 don't mutually interfere with
each other. If there is a strong signal on one of the other channels
it may well be worth picking 1,6, or 11 that is furthest away from
it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 20:30:39 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 20:17:02 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
And you can't run a cable over the next-door neighbour?

Probably can.
Not sure if I have permission to run it over their land.

I think you're allowed to if you ask them :-)

Owain

Or mole it under their land and they might never know.

Though always the risk they'll cut through it somehow.

I suspect that if you put one device on a pole in each garden, high enough to get over any fences, etc., it would be just fine. So that gives an approach to aim for - each extra compromise reducing signal strength (effectively speed/reliability) a bit further.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 20:46:21 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:

(*) On 2.4 GHz only channels 1, 6 & 11 don't mutually interfere with
each other. If there is a strong signal on one of the other channels
it may well be worth picking 1,6, or 11 that is furthest away from
it.

Only if 20MHz channels are used. If two networks use 40MHz
channels then it is impossible to avoid some overlap.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 20:02, polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

Before the VH had its own internet connection I used to use a flat panel
directional antenna on a cheap dongle to connect back to my home network
~100m through a couple of roofs and one wall. I had intended in true DIY
style to make a cantenna but ran out of time so bought one from Solwise.

I did try a LAN extender - and we have two plug-in range extenders in
use already for printer and TV. None was able to work at the required
distance. At least, not through glass. The best I achieved was being
able to see the network but not connect to it.

You definitely need a directional antenna at least at one end.

I found I could work my base station which does shaped beam with a
remote 14dB gain antenna and the cheapest high gain dongle with a
detatchable antenna that I could get from Morgan. They were intended to
be sacrificial for testing the cantenna but worked so well I used then.

The price is more than I wanted to pay but when I looked at the
timescale (need it asap), and future uses I have planned, I went for
it.

The various extenders we've got are all pan-directional (or towards
that - the flexi-aerials might allow some directionality) so even
small increases in distance make a big difference. Whereas this
CPE510 is very directional. When I first put it up, got it working,
then inadvertently moved it a little and it stopped. Had to adjust it
back. Easy to do, and not ridiculously fussy, but very different.

Have you looked at the slightly less expensive CPE210?

Snag with directional antennas is that they do have a fairly narrow
beam. Pointing high gain yagi antennas to work distant 3/4G nodes are so
tetchy I found I needed it on a pan tilt head to get it working. Mifi
pebbles with external antenna facility are handy in remote places.

It is my backup internet connection for when the wet string is broken.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lets hope the person in between is not a ham or a short wave listener then.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 08:56:41 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

Have you looked at the slightly less expensive CPE210?

Snag with directional antennas is that they do have a fairly narrow
beam. Pointing high gain yagi antennas to work distant 3/4G nodes are so
tetchy I found I needed it on a pan tilt head to get it working. Mifi
pebbles with external antenna facility are handy in remote places.

It is my backup internet connection for when the wet string is broken.

In my precise circumstances, I can get away with "Yes, it is over there" - and just turn it a little. A greater distance would, I suspect, require greater precision.

If the CPE510 link goes down, I'll just use my phone as a hotspot.

Although I have unlimited data, it is slower, and it does mean I have to keep the phone plugged in much of the time. And, if I go out, nothing can do anything while I am out - such as big downloads or even just keeping mail up to date.

When we first moved here, broadband was appalling. (I saw 0.07 Mbps download on more than one occasion.) So we tried a 4G device - bigger than a pebble but similar. Inside the house was fine, but its 4G connection was flaky. Sometimes quite good, but would frequently just collapse to very poor. EE support (for they were the supplier) suggested buying a second one... We gave up on 4G and tried ADSL, which was usually bad or awful.

As soon as fibre to the premises became available, we went for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 09:39:05 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Lets hope the person in between is not a ham or a short wave listener then.
Brian

It is line of sight. In one direction, any spill past would have no impact. In the other direction, I think it could only possibly affect a small number of premises.

Do ham operators use 5 GHz?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:39:01 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Lets hope the person in between is not a ham or a short wave listener
then.

Panic yee not Brian. The device ARW suggested is a WiFi Extender (aka
repeater) built into a mains wall socket not a power line device.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2020 08:34, wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 20:46:21 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:

(*) On 2.4 GHz only channels 1, 6 & 11 don't mutually interfere with
each other. If there is a strong signal on one of the other channels
it may well be worth picking 1,6, or 11 that is furthest away from
it.

Only if 20MHz channels are used. If two networks use 40MHz
channels then it is impossible to avoid some overlap.

John

In fact it is more complex than that. starting with the simple binary
but false statement that 'only channels 1, 6 & 11 don't mutually
interfere' (and the redundant 'with each other').

Yes, they do. The 2.4Ghz spectrum is used by spread spectrum devices.
And no receiver has square shaped filters. And no modulation scheme that
carries useful information doesn't generate sidebands all over the place.

https://www.i-programmer.info/progra...ifi-works.html

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthog...n_multiplexing

The reality is that not only can wifi share *exact* channels, using
CSMA, but intermediate channels will work better if the three 'main'
ones are already occupied, so to speak.

In short you share some of your band with adjacent frequencies or even
frequencies that are the same). The less adjacent they are the less they
share, that's all.

But Wifi is, all in all, a **** technique whose main virtue is that
idiots can use it without wiring it up.

Give me copper or fibre any day.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 01:57:14 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google wrote:

It is line of sight. In one direction, any spill past would have no
impact. In the other direction, I think it could only possibly affect a
small number of premises.

Do ham operators use 5 GHz?

There is an allocation 5.65 GHz to 5.85 GHz, wether there is anybody
there is another matter, given the limited range. Mind you you I
don't know what the power limit is, I suspect it'll be somewhat more
than the 100 or so mW allowed by "unlicensed" domestic WiFi kit and
the use of high gain antennas.

Amateurs have allocations right up to 241 GHz, if you want to go
above 275 GHz you have to get a Notice Of Variation for your licence.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 11:05:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes, they do. The 2.4Ghz spectrum is used by spread spectrum devices.
And no receiver has square shaped filters. And no modulation scheme that
carries useful information doesn't generate sidebands all over the
place.

Wouldn't like to bet on that, though with WiFi we are talking cheap
low power domestic kit.

Recently bought a SDR-RTL dongle. Tuning around in Band IV I found a
step in the noise level. Thought it must be a fault or some product
of the receive system. However on closer investigation this step was
the edge of one of the local terrestial DTTV multiplexes. Looked up
the frequencies for the three multiplex's we have and yep similar
steps at the channel edges for each of those.

But Wifi is, all in all, a **** technique whose main virtue is that
idiots can use it without wiring it up.

Give me copper or fibre any day.

+1

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2020 09:57, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 09:39:05 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Lets hope the person in between is not a ham or a short wave listener then.
Brian

It is line of sight. In one direction, any spill past would have no impact. In the other direction, I think it could only possibly affect a small number of premises.

Do ham operators use 5 GHz?

Course not. Brian is simply being an arse as usual. The actual
modulation used is effectively - unless you have the keys - white noise
AM centred around 5GHz.

Just don't tell him how much power is zipping across the country in
terms of 35GHz tight beam data links...or down from space from
satellites....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 17:14, ARW wrote:
[...]

WiFi extenders ideally need to be placed where they can both "see" the
original network well, and also cover the area they are extending to
wifi to. So the ideal point often being somewhere around midway between
locations. So for this application, in the middle of the adjacent
neighbour's house!

All I want is the next door but one neighbours to have access to my
wifi. And there is a good reason for this.

Access to your wifi, or access to your internet service? (in many cases
one would come with the other, but that does not need to be the case).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 12:13:23 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

WiFi extenders ideally need to be placed where they can both "see" the
original network well, and also cover the area they are extending to
wifi to. So the ideal point often being somewhere around midway between
locations. So for this application, in the middle of the adjacent
neighbour's house!

When I pit forward the "on top of a post in the gardens" suggestion, I was mentally seeing the extender actually being used more as an access point and have a cable in the house, at least at one property. (The ones I have all have an ethernet port as well as aerials.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 22/07/2020 09:39, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Lets hope the person in between is not a ham or a short wave listener then.
Brian

Trust me. They are not.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW was thinking very hard :
I have something similar to do but not at the price of the CPE510.

TBH I was considering using a socket wifi extender. Possibly something from
here

https://www.bgelectrical.uk/wifi-sockets

All I want is the next door but one neighbours to have access to my wifi. And
there is a good reason for this.

I think those wifi sockets use mains signalling, so unlikely to work
outside the same property.

Make a pair of these -
http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/4026...0-el.-yagi,115

then modify a suitable pair of wifi routers, to use the yagi antennas
in place of the built in antennas and you will have a system able to
provide a link over several miles LOS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

ARW wrote:

https://www.bgelectrical.uk/wifi-sockets

I think those wifi sockets use mains signalling,

From their FAQ

"How does a Wi-Fi range extender socket work?

By positioning the Wi-Fi socket halfway between your router and the area
of poor reception, the range extender will relay the signal to further
spread coverage."

which implies it's a wifi repeater, not a powerline device
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns expressed precisely :
From their FAQ

"How does a Wi-Fi range extender socket work?

By positioning the Wi-Fi socket halfway between your router and the area of
poor reception, the range extender will relay the signal to further spread
coverage."

which implies it's a wifi repeater, not a powerline device

OK, but seems a very poor way to attempt to extend wifi, by wifi -
using potentially poorly located sockets low down on walls.

They would be halfway sensible if they used mains signalling to link
the sockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

seems a very poor way to attempt to extend wifi, by wifi - using
potentially poorly located sockets low down on walls.

with metal backboxes, or foil-lined plasterboard ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns expressed precisely :
From their FAQ

"How does a Wi-Fi range extender socket work?

By positioning the Wi-Fi socket halfway between your router and the area of
poor reception, the range extender will relay the signal to further spread
coverage."

which implies it's a wifi repeater, not a powerline device

OK, but seems a very poor way to attempt to extend wifi, by wifi -
using potentially poorly located sockets low down on walls.

They would be halfway sensible if they used mains signalling to link
the sockets.

Put them in the floor sockets ustairs

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 July 2020 12:06:50 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
seems a very poor way to attempt to extend wifi, by wifi - using
potentially poorly located sockets low down on walls.

with metal backboxes, or foil-lined plasterboard ...

They should be okay without backboxes in wood skirting :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 12:06:45 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

seems a very poor way to attempt to extend wifi, by wifi - using
potentially poorly located sockets low down on walls.

with metal backboxes, or foil-lined plasterboard ...

Ah but they are out of sight. No nasty box with distracting flashing
lights up on a shelf with sticky up things and a wire running across
the wall to a wall wart.

The fact that in most houses they could cover the whole house with a
single properly placed AP doesn't come into it. Not helped of course
by the predominance of the "single box" containing, the modem,
firewall/router, network switch and WiFi AP. This single box being
again stuffed out of the way somewhere.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 22/07/2020 12:13, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/07/2020 17:14, ARW wrote:
[...]

It will be my internet service. It's for the gf's lad so that he will
stop and his grandparents more often and leave us in peace.

He uses it ATM but the signal is weak in the house.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/07/2020 12:06, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

seems a very poor way to attempt to extend wifi, by wifi - using
potentially poorly located sockets low down on walls.

with metal backboxes, or foil-lined plasterboard ...

Actually in this case the socket in my computer room is about horizontal
to their sockets on the kitchen worktop. And that is the shortest
distance between the two houses and is in direct line of sight.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 17:14, ARW wrote:
[...]

In which case a simple LAN extender with better aerials will likely do the job. You might get away with just one.

I don't think I'd go for the socket one. With a plug-in one, you can easily move it round trying to optimise the position.

I see Lidl have one at £14.99 coming up soon. No idea as to how well that model
works.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 July 2020 18:20:58 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
It will be my internet service. It's for the gf's lad so that he will
stop and his grandparents more often and leave us in peace.

And why would you want to be left in peace ? ;-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2020 17:09, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 12:06:45 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

seems a very poor way to attempt to extend wifi, by wifi - using
potentially poorly located sockets low down on walls.

with metal backboxes, or foil-lined plasterboard ...

Ah but they are out of sight. No nasty box with distracting flashing
lights up on a shelf with sticky up things and a wire running across
the wall to a wall wart.

The fact that in most houses they could cover the whole house with a
single properly placed AP doesn't come into it. Not helped of course
by the predominance of the "single box" containing, the modem,
firewall/router, network switch and WiFi AP. This single box being
again stuffed out of the way somewhere.

+1

The router is in the loft. its WiFi has been turned off. I put a Unifi
AP in the centre of the house which is the hall ceiling....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

seems a very poor way to attempt to extend wifi, by wifi - using
potentially poorly located sockets low down on walls.

with metal backboxes, or foil-lined plasterboard ...

Actually in this case the socket in my computer room is about horizontal
to their sockets on the kitchen worktop. And that is the shortest
distance between the two houses and is in direct line of sight.

If it has a metal backbox, or you have aluminium lined insulation, might not be so good in a socket.