Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Viewing 4TB hard drive with 32 bit system

On 22/07/2020 15:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Graeme wrote:

OS is W10 32 bit, and I vaguely recall that the maximum drive size is 2TB

With 4kB clusters, the maximum partition size is 16TB, regardless of
whether windows is 32 or 64 bit, but to use a disk larger than 2TB, it
needs to be partitioned as GPT rather than MBR, and if you want the disk
to be bootable you need to have UEFI rather than BIOS.

You can go *much* bigger with larger clusters, but you wouldn't
generally on a home PC.

For linux fans, I discovered that whilst I could use a partition 2TB
on the host machine, NFS was unable to export it as a networkable drive.
I didn't search further, I just went to 1.9TB....:-)

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain