CBHVAC

Default Air Conditioning problem

"noname" wrote in message
This is Turtle.

Well Dave here is our resident Troll and is not in the hvac business as

he states. Take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Now if everything being the same with a old unit and keeping 72ºF in the

place. The new one should do the same thing as the old one.
So you have a problem with the hvac system. The older 7 seer 2 ton and

the newer 10 seer 2 ton should do the same thing in the real
world. The old addage of the system will only put out or keep the place

20ºF cooler than the outside temperature is only used in
court cases when a hvac company gets sued and can defend theirself with

this but in the real world it is just plain bull****.

When i run a heat load on a home for a new hvac system. I program in the

temperature I want to maintain in the home and the system
will be able to hold that temperature that I put in the program.

Now you said you had a compressor burn up on the unit you have but did

they check the flow rater or expanion valve for trash after a
few hours of operation or put a LL drier at the evaperator coil by not

changing the tubing set.

I think you may have trash in the TXV / Flow rater or a incorrectly

charged unit.

You are now watching what we call in the industry a Hack Job. Watch

closely for one day you may build your on home and will not want
a hack job done on your home.

TURTLE

I totally agree Turtle because I know I cannot get my apartment down to
what I used to could.

I also know that all they did was cut the old copper pipes and stuck on
a high side freon drier and welded everything (oxy-acetylene) in place
(the tubes did not fit properly and they pliers crimped them before they
welded. This is all they did then let a high pressure vaccum run for 30
mins and filled it with freon and left.

Umm...ok...print this out and give it to them.
They are ****ing idiots. Whoever did this is a moron. Whoever did this needs
to either: Have his licence pulled, and brought up on incompetence charges
in his state with the State Board, or, needs to find a new line of work and
get the hell out of the trade, since it is painfully obvious that they have
no damn idea what they are doing other than stealing from the owner of the
building.
Give it to him too....

1- New units come with a high side dryer, (liquid line dryer) inside the
unit. All they did here was add something else to clog, and if they are
doing that for what we call a burn out clean-up, they needed to put a
suction filter on too...and come back in 30 days and replace
them..however....see #2.
2-Linesets not the same size? REPLACE IT WITH A CORRECT SIZE! If its a
burnout, and the old unit used a different lineset size...replace the
lineset. Period.
3-Evap coil....needs to be replaced to match the outdoor unit...if the
lineset does not match, see #2.
4-Nitrogen needs to be flowing in the lineset when the welding is taking
place. if they didnt do that, they created trash in the lines....
5-30 minutes for a vac? Humm...what was the micron reading? Unless they had
a micron gauge hooked up, they have NO way of knowing as the manifold that
is used to charge, wont tell you jack **** about the vac...other than it is
in one. How deep the vac is, they wont tell you...not at all. A micron gauge
is needed to know.
6-Units come pre-charged. They are set up for 15 feet of lineset, sized
properly. Vac to 400 Microns, keep it there for at least 30 minutes, (hint,
it takes about 45 to an hour and a half to reach the point that you can open
the valves) and then, depending on the evap coil, or air handler, they might
have had to change the flowrater piston, (Goodman right? ) and that can lead
to an addition, or subtraction of the charge that exists in the machine,
normally will add to it, and if the lineset is over 15 feet, then they will
indeed have to pull out their scales, and WEIGH in the additional charge.
7- On the roof right? I wont even ask about oil traps in the lineset. I
doubt seriously there are any, but I can tell you this...IF I get called to
a rooftop unit, any brand, and its under warranty and the compressors shot,
and there are no oil traps, warranty is VOID and GONE. That falls under the
improper installation guidelines on EVERYONES including Goodmans warranty.
8-Acid Away was added right? I mean...you had a burnout and that means that
the evap and lineset have acid saturated oil still in them...
9-Local permits were pulled too right? The job was permitted and inspected
correct? (of course not, but it should have been.)

There is a better than average chance, that no matter what they do to this
unit, its not going to cool worth a damn for you. Its a halfassed hacked in
jackleggers dream job. I sure hope they didnt charge your landlord more than
about $100 for that...and I know the outdoor unit cost more than that, but
now, thats all its worth...scrap metal fees. Technically, the warranty is
now void on it. If you want a copy of the Goodman warranty, since I know
good and well they didnt leave squat with you as a renter, if you have a FAX
machine I can send you a copy right out of the Goodman tech manual, and you
can read about it. IF this is an option, let me know in here, and I will
give you a good mail addy that you can pop an e-mail over to and I will send
it over.

It would be interesting to know the name of the outfit that did this, and
where you are located at aprox, so that no one else will use these hacks and
get stung like you and your landlord have. I see this all the time, and all
the time, the people want to know WHY its going to cost so much to fix, in
relation to the original "repair" and its hard to explain to someone that
just spent sometimes several thousand dollars why they got taken for a ride,
and nothing short of ripping more out will make it right and make it work
right.

If I can help with the Goodman info, let me know. But, please let everyone
know in here the name and location of this jacklegged hack. IF you have a
licence board in your state, they need to be contacted. If you are here in
NC, I can put you in touch with the right people to call and get some action
on his licence, and THAT needs to be done soon.