Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ethernet link

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 12:30:37 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

And you can't run a cable over the next-door neighbour?

Probably can.
Not sure if I have permission to run it over their land.

I think you're allowed to if you ask them :-)

They have to answer yes as well. B-)

If cable is an option that'll be the most reliable and possibly
cheaper solution. Even for copper exterior grade CAT5e cable. Is
there an ethernet AP at the neighbours already?

The normally 2 kV isolating transformers in the ethernet ports at
each end of the kit sort out any problems of galvanically linking to
buildings. More of a problem could be nearby lightning frying said
2kV isolating transformers... Fibre would avoid that and media
convertors seem to have dropped in price a lot since the last time I
looked but you'd back to the TP-Link kit sort of price range.

--
Cheers
Dave.