Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Butt Joint on 6" trim @ 90 degrees

On 7/21/2020 11:03 AM, ArghArgh wrote:
On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 1:52:22 PM UTC-4, ArghArgh wrote:
On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 1:42:50 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
On 7/21/2020 10:15 AM, ArghArgh wrote:
On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 12:48:42 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 7/21/2020 11:25 AM, ArghArgh wrote:
New house removed some ugly built-ins and there is a gap where the trim ends. Straight run on brand new trim. I REALLY don't want to remove the existing trim that meets on outer corners for fear of screwing them up as well.

What would be the best way to butt join a piece of trim on a straight run without removing the existing trim. I know I could just slap some glue on each end and nail it up, but then I'd be waiting on the crack to open up when things got colder.

How about corrugated nails?
Any other technique to solve this?

Don't even think about the corrugated nail thing...all you'll do is
split it or worse...

If don't have one, get a Harbor Freight multitool and use it to make 45
on the existing piece (best to be long end out; hides the gap better to
slide new piece behind).

Then miter the new end and glue and nail as usual...finish with a little
painters caulk and paint.

--

Help me out with this "multitool" is it like a dremel or something?

https://www.harborfreight.com/oscill...ool-62866.html

Thanks. Not quite sure how I'll manage to cut a decent 45 degrees and also not make contact with polished cement floor though :-|

Ahh...maybe cut a scrape piece at 45 degrees and connect and use it as a guide?

Yes

I have used this tool with the round wood cutting blade to to make very
clean cuts by using a piece of wood clamped to the work piece and
resting the blade against the wood guide as it cuts, working it
carefully back and forth to go deeper in multiple passes. A counter I
shortened this way was a clean enough edge to install the counter end
formica on it perfectly.