Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Ethernet link

Some time ago, I asked about setting up a link between two properties - over and down a road. Not a huge distance. Line of sight except when a lorry is delivering something.

A direct connection using a standard LAN extender proved not to be up to it, so I decided to do it properly. Got a pair of devices and set them up.

TP-LINK CPE510 Pharos Outdoor 5Ghz 13dBi WiFi 4 Point-to-Point PtP Link

Easy to set up. Simple POE. Can be used outside.

I found that one can be placed on a window sill, so a pane of glass is in the way. The other is in the garage, through the single-brick wall immediately adjacent to the garage door. Despite this, they work very well. If they didn't, I have options for putting them actually outside. (I am sure that for a greater distance, it would have to be outside.)

In the remote property, an Ethernet cable from the CPE510 to an older Netgear LAN extender/AP covers the whole property just fine - on both 5 and 2 GHz. Things like printing and file sharing are exactly the same as in the prime property.

I know this is a more costly approach, but I have future plans which justify doing this. It also feels good that it worked straight away and did not need playing about and fettling. No feeling of good money after bad because the first idea didn't work.