Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Science Museum

"newshound" wrote in message
.. .
Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise a standard
treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather drive belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

They know what it is, more or less, although they mis-identify it as a jigsaw.

What they're looking for, as the caption explains, are human interest stories of
what people used them for. And the same with other tools in their collections.

"My Dad, or my Uncle Joe had one of these in the 50's or 60's" is of no real use
to them.

What they're looking for is more on the lines of "My Uncle Joe used one of these
to make fretwork pictures, which he gave to the family as presents". Ideally accompanied
by one of Uncle Joe's actual faded fretwork pictures; or failing that a photo of one,
or possibly a photo of Uncle Joe actually using the machine.

Then the machine and accompanying material. when fully captioned up, can make a nice
display item.

michael adams