Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Science Museum

Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise
a standard treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather
drive belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

The glass things look like brewing airlocks ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 12:05:02 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

The glass things look like brewing airlocks ...

Agreed - and those treadle fretsaws were all the rage in the 1950's. It even
says 'Hobbies' on it - I grew up reading old Hobbies annuals in the 70's and
donated one of those fretsaws to a wood recycling charity after my Dad died.

I presume this is a publicity exercise more than them *really* not knowing
what those items are.

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 12:00:12 +0100, newshound
wrote:

Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise
a standard treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather
drive belt.

Agreed.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

This one looks like like some sort of gas spectrometer? Or for heating
something quite specific?

Oxygen / fuel gas in via the lower valves, flame out of the nozzle at
the top?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise
a standard treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather
drive belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

The second item looks like a metal working dolly for forming edges in sheet
metal ware.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , jkn
writes

Agreed - and those treadle fretsaws were all the rage in the 1950's. It even
says 'Hobbies' on it - I grew up reading old Hobbies annuals in the 70's and
donated one of those fretsaws to a wood recycling charity after my Dad died.

Hobbies (not to be confused with Hobby's) is still going strong. I have
some of their 0 gauge building plans here, somewhere.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 12:32, Tim+ wrote:
newshound wrote:
Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise
a standard treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather
drive belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

The second item looks like a metal working dolly for forming edges in sheet
metal ware.

Tim

Or could be a Tinkers soldering iron tip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 13:18:56 +0100, Graeme wrote:

In message , jkn
writes

Agreed - and those treadle fretsaws were all the rage in the 1950's. It
even says 'Hobbies' on it - I grew up reading old Hobbies annuals in the
70's and donated one of those fretsaws to a wood recycling charity after
my Dad died.

Hobbies (not to be confused with Hobby's) is still going strong. I have
some of their 0 gauge building plans here, somewhere.

I bought some tools off them last month.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 12:00:12 +0100, newshound wrote:

Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise
a standard treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather
drive belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...stery-objects-

from-the-science-museum-in-pictures?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Apropos of very little, I have a minor Science Museum story.

-----

As part of a possible project, I was recently trying to get some good
photographs and physical details of the Honeywell DDP-516 control panel
(this sat on a desk, connected to the main cabinets via a thick cable). I
was after pictures, as well as accurate meansurements, and the details of
how each switch operated (momentary, two state, three state, etc.) I was
able to locate some information online; these pictures show what it
looked like. I used one of these quite a bit, at the University of Kent,
back in the 1970s; I modified the CPU to add some instructions and modify
the effect of others.

I noticed that the pictures were of an item held by the Science Museum in
London, so I decided to contact them. After a false start when no one got
back to me, after several months I was able to have a discussion with a
very helpful lady who arranged for me to have access to the panel.
Unfortunately it was actually on display, and because of that (and other
reasons) I was obliged to make my visit between 0700 and 1000 (i.e.
before Museum opening time) on the day arranged. We settled on 0745 as
the earliest feasible time for me, and I got up very early (train at
0510).

On arrival, I was admitted via a side door and went to sign in. We had to
traverse a lot of the main floor of the museum, which was quite
interesting as it was deserted apart from a couple of cleaners! I was
then taken down to a basement lab, where the panel awaited me on a bench.
Apparently, due to the proximity of another exhibit, there had been a few
problems extracting the panel from the display cabinet; a small member of
staff had to crawl in to get it!

At this point, I think I gave the conservator a bit of a shock. As I laid
my hand on the panel, I said something like "This is the first time I
have touched this panel for over 44 years". Yes, it was the same panel. I
had done some research, and discovered that when it left the University
of Kent, the DDP-516 had been donated to a local school. Several years
later, it had been taken by the Science Museum, although they only
retained the panel.

I spent about an hour and a half examining and photographing the panel,
and taking measurements. I then had coffee in the Victoria and Albert
café across the road, before entering the Museum again as a member of the
public. I spent some time touring the 'Information Age' exhibition before
returning home to sleep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 12:32, Tim+ wrote:
newshound wrote:
Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise
a standard treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather
drive belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

The second item looks like a metal working dolly for forming edges in sheet
metal ware.

Tim

Or as its made of copper perhaps something to do with munitions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 July 2020 12:00:14 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise
a standard treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather
drive belt.

Obviously no. 8 is an early doner kebab cooker.

No. 9 may be for drinking spirits when out shooting. Sometimes the 'peg' number was engraved inside the bottom of the tumbler so when you'd drank your drink you saw your shooting position.

More comments on Twitter

https://twitter.com/sciencemuseum/st...86509145948162
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd imagine so as they are getting ready to open again and no doubt want to
peak folks interest. Its a great place to spend an afternoon assuming social
distancing dooes not impinge on the experience. Its wonderful for children,
and they change it around quite a lot so its never the same. Some of the old
favourites spring up though like the impossible sized room.
Optical illusions are always fun.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
newshound wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

The glass things look like brewing airlocks ...

Agreed - and those treadle fretsaws were all the rage in the 1950's. It
even
says 'Hobbies' on it - I grew up reading old Hobbies annuals in the 70's
and
donated one of those fretsaws to a wood recycling charity after my Dad
died.

I presume this is a publicity exercise more than them *really* not knowing
what those items are.

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 15:20:06 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 20/07/2020 12:32, Tim+ wrote:
newshound wrote:
Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise
a standard treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather
drive belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

The second item looks like a metal working dolly for forming edges in sheet
metal ware.

Tim

Or as its made of copper perhaps something to do with munitions.

Or early coal mine chisel, similarly to prevent sparks, but they
suggested there were no sign of it being hammered and it looks too
short to be a lever.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

As a child who lived in London, I went to the Science Museum at least
once a year. I loved pushing the buttons and turning the wheels to see
what the exhibits did. About 10 years ago I went back for the first time
in 40 or 50 years, and was very disappointed. Most of the displays were
static - there were few buttons, wheels, or levers. I couldn't see how
these displays were meant to stimulate a child's imagination. Maybe it
has changed in the interim; has anyone been there recently?

--

Jeff

On 20/07/2020 15:38, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I'd imagine so as they are getting ready to open again and no doubt want to
peak folks interest. Its a great place to spend an afternoon assuming social
distancing dooes not impinge on the experience. Its wonderful for children,
and they change it around quite a lot so its never the same. Some of the old
favourites spring up though like the impossible sized room.
Optical illusions are always fun.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
.. .
Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise a standard
treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather drive belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

They know what it is, more or less, although they mis-identify it as a jigsaw.

What they're looking for, as the caption explains, are human interest stories of
what people used them for. And the same with other tools in their collections.

"My Dad, or my Uncle Joe had one of these in the 50's or 60's" is of no real use
to them.

What they're looking for is more on the lines of "My Uncle Joe used one of these
to make fretwork pictures, which he gave to the family as presents". Ideally accompanied
by one of Uncle Joe's actual faded fretwork pictures; or failing that a photo of one,
or possibly a photo of Uncle Joe actually using the machine.

Then the machine and accompanying material. when fully captioned up, can make a nice
display item.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jul 2020 14:16:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

At this point, I think I gave the conservator a bit of a shock. As I
laid my hand on the panel, I said something like "This is the first time
I have touched this panel for over 44 years".

Yerrs, bit disconcerting to be visiting a museum and come across an
exhibit or three that you used to use. Not so bad if the kit was
pretty much a musem piece when you used it but not so good if you
remember it being installed, new...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 16:48:35 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

As a child who lived in London, I went to the Science Museum at least
once a year. I loved pushing the buttons and turning the wheels to see
what the exhibits did.

snip

Sounds like you would have loved Techniquest then:

https://www.techniquest.org/about-us...ience-capital/

We took daughter there whilst on one of our family motorcycle touring
holidays and she loved it.

It was her idea as they had done something on it in primary school.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 12:00, newshound wrote:
Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise
a standard treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather
drive belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

If you bothered to scroll down the text for that item says:

"The museum is looking for stories of how tools such as this example of
a jigsaw were used".

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As a child who lived in London, I went to the Science Museum at least
once a year. I loved pushing the buttons and turning the wheels to see
what the exhibits did.

snip

Sounds like you would have loved Techniquest then:

https://www.techniquest.org/about-us...ience-capital/

We took daughter there whilst on one of our family motorcycle touring
holidays and she loved it.

It was her idea as they had done something on it in primary school.

Cheers, T i m

Thanks for that info - I hadn't heard of it. On my next visit to Wales
I'll have a look if it has been opened.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As a child who lived in London, I went to the Science Museum at least
once a year. I loved pushing the buttons and turning the wheels to see
what the exhibits did.

snip

Sounds like you would have loved Techniquest then:

https://www.techniquest.org/about-us...ience-capital/

We took daughter there whilst on one of our family motorcycle touring
holidays and she loved it.

It was her idea as they had done something on it in primary school.

Cheers, T i m

Thanks for that info - I hadn't heard of it. On my next visit to Wales
I'll have a look if it has been opened.

Nah. You want a proper mans museum. ;-)

https://www.internalfire.com

Closed due to Covid at the moment but a brilliant museum where they run the
engines.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 15:16, Bob Eager wrote:

I spent about an hour and a half examining and photographing the panel,
and taking measurements. I then had coffee in the Victoria and Albert
café across the road, before entering the Museum again as a member of the
public. I spent some time touring the 'Information Age' exhibition before
returning home to sleep.

Interesting story.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As a child who lived in London, I went to the Science Museum at least
once a year. I loved pushing the buttons and turning the wheels to see
what the exhibits did.

snip

Sounds like you would have loved Techniquest then:

https://www.techniquest.org/about-us...ience-capital/

We took daughter there whilst on one of our family motorcycle touring
holidays and she loved it.

It was her idea as they had done something on it in primary school.

Cheers, T i m

Thanks for that info - I hadn't heard of it. On my next visit to Wales
I'll have a look if it has been opened.

Nah. You want a proper mans museum. ;-)

https://www.internalfire.com

Closed due to Covid at the moment but a brilliant museum where they run the
engines.

Tim

I wonder why Wales keeps these things so quiet! I have some good friends
who have lived in Ceredigion for years, and I have visited them there
many times, but have never heard of this museum.

I was lucky enough to visit The Brighton and Hove (British) Engineerium
a few times on "steam" days. An amazing place and it's such a shame that
it close, although I hope it will reopen again before too long.

--
Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 17:46:57 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 20 Jul 2020 14:16:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

At this point, I think I gave the conservator a bit of a shock. As I
laid my hand on the panel, I said something like "This is the first
time I have touched this panel for over 44 years".

Yerrs, bit disconcerting to be visiting a museum and come across an
exhibit or three that you used to use. Not so bad if the kit was pretty
much a musem piece when you used it but not so good if you remember it
being installed, new...

I did of course know in advance in this case (in the too-familiar words,
but true this time, I had "done my research")

When I used that machine, it was about 5-6 years old. All of the
peripherals were non-Honeywell, and the disk controller was built locally
from scratch. It was, after all, an electronics department.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 12:00, newshound wrote:
Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise
a standard treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather
drive belt.

Later in the article is the same saw with a correct caption. I suspect
no _journalist_ can recognise it... and mixed up the photos.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
newshound wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

The glass things look like brewing airlocks ...

Dunno, hard to see how they attach to whats used
for the brewing or why the top one is so convoluted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ has brought this to us :
Nah. You want a proper mans museum. ;-)

https://www.internalfire.com

Closed due to Covid at the moment but a brilliant museum where they run the
engines.

+1 It is a little way north of Cardigan on the right and very easy to
miss.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:

As a child who lived in London, I went to the Science Museum at least
once a year. I loved pushing the buttons and turning the wheels to see
what the exhibits did. About 10 years ago I went back for the first time
in 40 or 50 years, and was very disappointed. Most of the displays were
static - there were few buttons, wheels, or levers. I couldn't see how
these displays were meant to stimulate a child's imagination.

Friend of a friend worked in the Science Museum. In the farming
section, they used to have a demonstration of a milking machine.
One of the cups was mounted so that you could insert a finger and
feel the action. Small boys were a bit more imaginative, and they
ended up having to relocate the cup somewhat further from the
ground.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:03:45 +1000, Joshua Snow, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-07-21, Joshua Snow wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geissler_tube

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian

On 2020-07-21, Joshua Snow wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
newshound wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

The glass things look like brewing airlocks ...

Dunno, hard to see how they attach to whats used
for the brewing or why the top one is so convoluted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geissler_tube

I dont think he was referring to those (which are named on the web page).
Its the other weird bit of glassware that is really puzzling.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Ian

On 2020-07-21, Joshua Snow wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
newshound wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

The glass things look like brewing airlocks ...

Dunno, hard to see how they attach to whats used
for the brewing or why the top one is so convoluted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geissler_tube

I dont think he was referring to those (which are named on the web page).
Its the other weird bit of glassware that is really puzzling.

Correct, I was talking about the first pair of glass things which
have curled glass in the center, very curled with the first one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian"

On 2020-07-21, Joshua Snow wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
newshound wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

The glass things look like brewing airlocks ...

Dunno, hard to see how they attach to whats used
for the brewing or why the top one is so convoluted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geissler_tube

I was talking about the pair of glass things close to the top of the list.
Those arent Geissler tubes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:33:56 +1000, Joshua Snow, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

FredXX to Rodent Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shipped the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:42:11 +1000, Joshua Snow, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID: