Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Science Museum

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 12:00:12 +0100, newshound wrote:

Quite a nice story, although it seems bizarre that no-one can recognise
a standard treadle fretsaw that is only missing its toggled leather
drive belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...stery-objects-

from-the-science-museum-in-pictures?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Apropos of very little, I have a minor Science Museum story.

-----

As part of a possible project, I was recently trying to get some good
photographs and physical details of the Honeywell DDP-516 control panel
(this sat on a desk, connected to the main cabinets via a thick cable). I
was after pictures, as well as accurate meansurements, and the details of
how each switch operated (momentary, two state, three state, etc.) I was
able to locate some information online; these pictures show what it
looked like. I used one of these quite a bit, at the University of Kent,
back in the 1970s; I modified the CPU to add some instructions and modify
the effect of others.

I noticed that the pictures were of an item held by the Science Museum in
London, so I decided to contact them. After a false start when no one got
back to me, after several months I was able to have a discussion with a
very helpful lady who arranged for me to have access to the panel.
Unfortunately it was actually on display, and because of that (and other
reasons) I was obliged to make my visit between 0700 and 1000 (i.e.
before Museum opening time) on the day arranged. We settled on 0745 as
the earliest feasible time for me, and I got up very early (train at
0510).

On arrival, I was admitted via a side door and went to sign in. We had to
traverse a lot of the main floor of the museum, which was quite
interesting as it was deserted apart from a couple of cleaners! I was
then taken down to a basement lab, where the panel awaited me on a bench.
Apparently, due to the proximity of another exhibit, there had been a few
problems extracting the panel from the display cabinet; a small member of
staff had to crawl in to get it!

At this point, I think I gave the conservator a bit of a shock. As I laid
my hand on the panel, I said something like "This is the first time I
have touched this panel for over 44 years". Yes, it was the same panel. I
had done some research, and discovered that when it left the University
of Kent, the DDP-516 had been donated to a local school. Several years
later, it had been taken by the Science Museum, although they only
retained the panel.

I spent about an hour and a half examining and photographing the panel,
and taking measurements. I then had coffee in the Victoria and Albert
café across the road, before entering the Museum again as a member of the
public. I spent some time touring the 'Information Age' exhibition before
returning home to sleep.