Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default School Opening -- The King has spoken

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 4:25:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 11:46:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 2:07:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 20:35:15 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 7/18/2020 7:50 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/18/2020 08:23 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 17:12:41 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 7/18/2020 1:35 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 11:00:09 AM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
On 7/17/2020 9:38 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/17/2020 08:33 PM,
wrote:
They sent their kids back to the brick and mortar las year,
mostly for
socialization. Now they are home again. No huge shock, excerpt
for the
kids, who liked being with other kids.

Socialization is one of the arguments for public schools. No
classroom
or playground activities for a year or two might make for a
generation
of weird people. Or weirder, I should say.

Kids parents and grandparents dying is anti-social too. Bu no, the
Repubs want to rush schools open in a major pandemic blowup, even
after
Israel proved it doesn't go well. This thing is not in control,
which is
absolutely necessary before opening schools.

No, we can't look at Israel, learn what they did, learn what works,
what
doesn't.Â* No, No, No.Â* This is AMERICA, we're the best, screw the rest.
That's Dear Leader and the New Republican Party.Â* If we had only looked
at China, South Korea, Taiwan, EU and learned we wouldn't be totally
screwed now with Covid.

If trump wants to open schools, he need to get testing and tracking
working. The longer he waits, the harder it will be to open anything up
safely.

How do you test and track kids who are in a school with 1000 others
who are in the wild for the other 18 hours a day? Do you really think
a teenager will tell anyone where he actually was all day? That is
particularly true of the most at risk kids.

Good luck with fast, accurate, and cheap testing. That's like the old
engineering joke that has 'pick any two' as the punchline.

There was an article about testing employees. It said the tests ran $100
a pop and the insurance companies were coming up with new, creative ways
to not pay for them. So, you test 50 employees this week for $5,000..
You're not done by any means. When do you retest? Next week? Tomorrow?

Now think about a school with a couple of thousand kids. What's your
plan, Bob F?

Have real testing and tracking so when you get the numbers down, you can
keep them down, instead of trumps method of giving up, setting the virus
free, and pretending it would go away. Testing and tracking means EVERY
case possible. Most other countries are managing a pretty good job of
it. The US is doing crap.

When you are talking about 1000 kid schools and with busing, they are
coming from 10 or 12 different neighborhoods, anyone with a modicum of
knowledge of large number math knows contact tracing is a joke.

It's a joke in FL because your governor and state screwed up badly.
You can't contact trace when you have 10K new cases a day. But you
can when you have a few hundred, like NJ, NY, CT. That was what the
shutdown, the sheltering was supposed to achieve. We did it here.
And we told you at the time what would happen. Instead of learning
from China, South Korea, Taiwan, EU, NJ, NY, CT keep following Trump
over the cliff.

Tracing only works if each person has a manageable number of contacts
and they can identify each one of them. With "kids" (well up into the
millennials), that is ridiculous.

Please show us the epidemiologists that say contact tracing with kids
up through millenials doesn't work. If a kid in a school tests positive,
how hard is it to test all the kids in the school that he could have
had contact with? Oh, wait, you're right, it is hard. Not because
of the kids but because of the moron in the WH. We still do not have
adequate testing. It takes a week to get results, which is too long
for contact tracing to work. Also, contact tracing can't be done when
you have 10K cases a day like you do in FL. With 300, like here in NJ,
it is being done.

The only thing we proved that worked is house arrest and banning any
groups of people assembling along with closing any business that
involves any close contact.

There never was any house arrest. We put it down here in NJ, so did
NY, CT, China, Taiwan, South Korea. Trump, FL, TX, and the like
failed because they refused to do what works.

I have been saying all along, as soon as you open those things up,
that virus is still out there waiting for you and it only takes one
infected person to start a wave.

Yet so far that has not happened here in NJ, NY, CT, not even in
crowded NYC. And none of those, none of the countries that have put
it down, have it down to zero either. But they do have it done to
very low levels, proving one person does not start another wave.
We never put down the first wave, that's the problem.