Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default What's your game changer?

Bob D wrote in
:

I think I have one of those tool rests (made by Veritas). I used it
with a hand turned grinder for sharpening and it worked well, but I
got tired of turning the crank and manipulating the blade to be
sharpened. I've thought about getting a Jet variable frequency
control grinder. What kind of grinder are you using with your setup?
My current 3600 RPM grinder is too fast for sharpening. I have a
worksharp but its painstakingly slow for initial shaping of a blade.

Bob

I'm using a Performax 6". It's a 3600 RPM grinder. I put on Norton 3x
wheels that help it cut a little cooler. I also dip the tool frequently in
water, and try to do it before the tool gets hot. I dress the wheel any
time it feels like the cutting slows down.

If you're really trying to hog off metal, you'll want a belt grinder like
they use on Forged in Fire. The Harbor Freight 1x30 is ok, but remember
how much you paid for it...

Puckdropper