Old July 12th 20, 05:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's your game changer?

This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Do you have an item that has been a game changer for you in pursuit of woodworking excellence. It can be something you purchased or built or found in the trash. It can cost anywhere from free to $1000's. Please refrain from value judgement comments like "too expensive; not worth it; etc". To someone its worth it. I am just looking for inspiration and ideas. Please expand on how or what you accomplished that caused you to say "Wow, this is a real game changer".

I will start it off with some game changers for me.

1. self centering drill bit - I was trying to mount a piano hinge and each screw seemed to try to pull it out of alignment. I bought the bit and re-drilled all the holes. the installation was perfectly aligned and all the screws centered and flush.
2. Sawstop industrial saw - I cannot even begin to express the magic of a great tablesaw.
3. Festool RO sander with dust extractor - sanding without dust. I didn't even know this was possible. Prompted by Leon "Bob, you gotta buy one of these"
4. Veritas saddle square - easy transfer of marks around the sides of a piece.

Bob

Old July 12th 20, 06:16 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2020 11:18 AM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

1. The spring loaded kind, AKA a Vix bit? I have about 4 sets. They
are great.

2. I concur. SAFER than most any TS, Large table top compared to
American style TS's.
Beefy under the hood.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
It shoots past the nickel test and passes the quarter test.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

3. He He He BUT this set up did take some getting use to.
When I first started using s Festool Sander and the Festool dust
extractor I was confused as to whether the sander was actually doing
anything. Previously, with my old PC Speed Bloc finish sander a trail
of dust indicated that the work was being accomplished.
With about 99.5 dust being properly sucked away I no longer had an
indicator. I now only feel the surface with my hand. It great com come
inside for lunch with out having to blow sanding dust off of my clothes.
And the Festool blue Granat sand paper is great sand paper on steroids.
It seems to never wear out compared to 3M, Mirka, Klingspor, PC paper.

4. Yup, I have one of those too! Great accurate tool.

OK, did you really have to ask? And I think this would be right up your
alley.

Shaper Origin and workstation. SMALL Foot PRINT! Comes in a Festool
track saw sized systainer, for the Shaper.
I have not yet been able to use mine much as I am in the middle of a
paying job. BUT I have been successful with each small experiment which
included work done on my computer and the included files.

I was not certain how much I would use my Domino when I got it in 2008.
LOL what a game changer!!! 10,000 mortises later and I am still using
the original bits, primarily the 5mm bit. I think the Shaper Origin is
going to be even more dramatic than the Domino.
Old July 12th 20, 09:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.
Old July 12th 20, 09:17 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2020 10:18 AM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

Built a long extension on my table saw and mounted a Triton
plunge router. Used a Rockler fence and an Incra jig to make
a quick-adjust removable router fence. It takes up no more
floor space than the saw itself, and makes accurate table
router setup quick and easy.
Old July 12th 20, 10:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Somewhat parallel, but since am older than most redwoods, the Powermatic
Model 66...every bit the saw of SS in mass, balance, etc., but w/o the
then 35 year in the future safety features.

Mine was more mind set of waiting until could afford the better product
before purchase if of significant outlay rather than try to "cheap out".

Was, of course, fortunate in having access to friend's commercial shop
for things like planer and all...of course in keeping with above, there
weren't any lunchbox planers for nearly 30 year from then, either...it
was "real iron" or the hand plane or take it to somebody who had a
planer then.

Old July 13th 20, 03:00 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Puckdropper
Old July 13th 20, 03:05 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Bob D wrote in
:

[...]

I have a grinder tool rest that clamps the tool in place then you can
slide it along the rest. This produces a very consistent hollow ground
edge. A few passes on a stone and you get an edge that's sharp and easy
to take care of.

The Work Sharp is very nice, but some good stones and the grinder tool
rest (and grinder, of course) is what I'd invest in if I was starting
over.

Puckdropper
Old July 13th 20, 04:04 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 02:00:12 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Yeah, my exposure in high school wood shop and to my father's planes
had been very discouraging. It wasn't until I saw how they were
_supposed_ to work and put the time into tuning and sharpening one
that I realized how badly I had been misled.
Old July 13th 20, 05:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 12:18:37 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:
[...]

I've got 3, one really old, the other 2 are more recent:

1 - I'm just a hobbyist, but the Craftsman 10" table saw that I found in the
newspaper classifieds - 30ish years ago - for $100, was my first game
changing event. I still have that saw, upgraded with a Delta T-Square fence..
The only real issue I've ever had was when the arbor bearing went bad.

2 - A couple of years ago I finally got around to replacing the right
extension panel of the table saw with a DIY router table. No more struggling
with crappy portable router tables or routing by hand in a really small shop.
I scored twice on that one by finding a practically new PC 690 router at a
pawn shop. $50. I was planning to buy just the base for my PC 690 to mount to
the router table and ended up finding a complete unit. Eliminating virtually
all router table setup when wanting to rout something is definitely a game
changer. I modified an old portable router table fence to add dust collection.

3 - This is more of a "household game changer" but it gets used for wood
working quite often. 3 years ago I bought a PC Air Compressor combo set - 16g,
18g and staple gun - but that's not the game changer. The game changer was
the 50' retractable air hose that my son bought me for Christmas. Since I
wanted to mount the hose reel up high in the garage, I needed to run PEX from
the compressor to the reel. As long as I was doing that, I also ran PEX from
the garage down into my basement shop. No more carrying the compressor to
where I need it, no more listening to the noise in the shop. Grabbing a
nail gun to pop a couple of brads into something or use the air nozzle is a
quick and easy process now.

3D metal printing, looks like a game changer Jon Anderson[_3_] Metalworking 6 August 1st 17 02:15 PM
Game Changer!! -MIKE- Woodworking 16 February 17th 13 11:42 PM
Is it worth having your own tire changer? stryped[_3_] Metalworking 13 June 12th 10 01:43 AM
Irritating Game Game qmmary Metalworking 5 January 27th 08 07:30 AM