Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default School Opening -- The King has spoken

On 07/18/2020 08:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/18/2020 12:38 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/17/2020 08:33 PM, wrote:
They sent their kids back to the brick and mortar las year, mostly for
socialization. Now they are home again. No huge shock, excerpt for the
kids, who liked being with other kids.

Socialization is one of the arguments for public schools. No classroom
or playground activities for a year or two might make for a generation
of weird people. Or weirder, I should say.

Agree it is important, but how to do safely?

Expecting a herd pf sixth graders to wear masks, stay six feet from each
other, and wash their hands regularly isn't going to work. Testing, even
assuming the availability of that many tests, isn't feasible at $100 a
pop. So I guess the kids stay home. That's tough for working parents
that use public schools for daycare. A co-worker has his kid in day care
and when he mentioned the monthly rate my jaw dropped. Fortunately he
and his wife are working professionals.

Expecting parents, or more accurately a single mother, who managed to
make it through N years of school while remaining functionally
illiterate to give a damn about little Johnny's school work is another
stretch.

So how safe is safely? For a generation who consigned their smaller
children to the backseat of the SUV secure in their space capsule, I
imagine they an airtight guarantee that Suzy will never have a bad
experience in her life.