Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default What's your game changer?

On 7/12/2020 11:18 AM, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Do you have an item that has been a game changer for you in pursuit of woodworking excellence. It can be something you purchased or built or found in the trash. It can cost anywhere from free to $1000's. Please refrain from value judgement comments like "too expensive; not worth it; etc". To someone its worth it. I am just looking for inspiration and ideas. Please expand on how or what you accomplished that caused you to say "Wow, this is a real game changer".

I will start it off with some game changers for me.

1. self centering drill bit - I was trying to mount a piano hinge and each screw seemed to try to pull it out of alignment. I bought the bit and re-drilled all the holes. the installation was perfectly aligned and all the screws centered and flush.
2. Sawstop industrial saw - I cannot even begin to express the magic of a great tablesaw.
3. Festool RO sander with dust extractor - sanding without dust. I didn't even know this was possible. Prompted by Leon "Bob, you gotta buy one of these"
4. Veritas saddle square - easy transfer of marks around the sides of a piece.

Bob

1. The spring loaded kind, AKA a Vix bit? I have about 4 sets. They
are great.

2. I concur. SAFER than most any TS, Large table top compared to
American style TS's.
Beefy under the hood.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
It shoots past the nickel test and passes the quarter test.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

3. He He He BUT this set up did take some getting use to.
When I first started using s Festool Sander and the Festool dust
extractor I was confused as to whether the sander was actually doing
anything. Previously, with my old PC Speed Bloc finish sander a trail
of dust indicated that the work was being accomplished.
With about 99.5 dust being properly sucked away I no longer had an
indicator. I now only feel the surface with my hand. It great com come
inside for lunch with out having to blow sanding dust off of my clothes.
And the Festool blue Granat sand paper is great sand paper on steroids.
It seems to never wear out compared to 3M, Mirka, Klingspor, PC paper.

4. Yup, I have one of those too! Great accurate tool.

OK, did you really have to ask? And I think this would be right up your
alley.

Shaper Origin and workstation. SMALL Foot PRINT! Comes in a Festool
track saw sized systainer, for the Shaper.
I have not yet been able to use mine much as I am in the middle of a
paying job. BUT I have been successful with each small experiment which
included work done on my computer and the included files.

I was not certain how much I would use my Domino when I got it in 2008.
LOL what a game changer!!! 10,000 mortises later and I am still using
the original bits, primarily the 5mm bit. I think the Shaper Origin is
going to be even more dramatic than the Domino.