Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default 1/2" Preformed Heater Hose?

On 7/10/2020 5:20 PM, dpb wrote:
Got a tight fit 90 bend to oil cooler from engine block on little JD
utility tractor. It's 1/2" heater hose; about 6" overall length.

JD shows nobody w/ the original part no in stock; can't find a local
source for a preformed 1/2" hose; regular hose collapses making the bend.

Tried adding an elbow; extra length of the elbow itself too long to make
the corner--the ends of two connections aren't but 1/2" or so from end
of one to centerline of other...

Clare -- any ideas how to preform a chunk or keep from collapsing?Â* I've
never run in to such a tight spot before couldn't manage something...out
of ideas at the moment.

Thanks, guys...I'd've tried the replacement idea and cut off ends except
there's not a single auto parts place in town that has a klew if they
can't punch in a vehicle...and getting even the NAPA guys to let you
just go rummage is getting harder and harder.

But, I did come up w/ a workaround -- used another hose clamp in the
middle of the bend in lieu of the wound spring idea--served the same
purpose.

I tried to find the JD picture parts page but they've screwed up the
link to it to where couldn't ever get to the mechanicals section...

The block connection is right at the firewall; can only get to the hose
clamp with an open-end 5/16 wrench and then only a 1/8-th turn per grab.
Takes long time to tighten a clamp at that rate...

The front end is on the cooler at base of oil filter-- it wouldn't be
too bad to get to but the dip stick tube is directly in front of where
the clamp needs to be to sit over the expansion knob and there's not
enough clearance to get to it if face it up or down instead of out...so
the wrench again. Altho can get almost a quarter-turn on it.

But, hopefully it won't be pouring oil out -- both the o-rings in
between the cooler and the block facing had hardened and actually
broken--that's a rarity in my experience as well; they'll get to where
don't hold but rarely have found one actually broken.