Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Wiring up switch w/pilot light.

On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 9:53:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 1:30:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Wiring up switch w/pilot light...

When wiring up a switch that requires another wire back from the load to attach to the switch to power the pilot-light (illuminated when ON).
Do I have to use #14 wire ? Or can I use something smaller like #20 bell wire as long as the jacket is rated at 600v ?

Any help is appreciated.

I checked w/local supply houses and they wanted $150 for 250' of 14/4 wire.
Found it on HomeDepot site for $83 (free ship to store).
Inside the the box the 2nd switch controls a light literally 20" from the switch, I could easily get a neutral from there.

Are you saying the problem is that neutral is not on the same circuit?
If so, how about changing the wiring so that both are on the same circuit?
May not be possible for a variety of reasons, including that you might
need two because of the loads. But if it's just some lights or similar,
the loads may be small and maybe you could rewire all or part of it to
be on the circuit with the pilot light and then use that neutral.

Leaning back toward just running 14/3 back to the light 70' away. Seems kind of ridiculous to run a neutral back 70' to run a neon lamp ? I will setup the switch on the workbench and measure the amperage that the pilot lamp draws.

I wouldn't bother, unless it's some mega pilot light, 14g is plenty and
it's a 15A circuit.