Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On 7/9/2020 7:15 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 17:15:47 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

You were OK until you said "bury". That tape is not a listed direct
burial method. There are direct burial splices tho, crimped and full
of silicone. Most people do not have the required crimping tool tho.
This isn't a "squeeze it with pliers" thing.

The method the OP's guy used is OK, he just needs better splices.

The practical part of me says it will "work" forever the way it is, it
is just not legal. If I did nothing else, I would screw a red wirenut
down on those twisted #10 grounds.

So it would be ok to just splice and burry with proper crimp and tape
that is designed to be burried ? I thought it would be possiable to use
a butt splice on the wires if done in a way that water proofs them.

The crimps you see on submersible well conductors would be fine. It is
an irreversible crimp with silicone in the shrink tube insulation. The
problem is you need the right tool to make the crimp and the one for
6ga wire is probably $100. I did see a guy who went to work on a 36"
Harbor Fright bolt cutter with a grinder to make a big crimper. It
seemed to work OK.

I found used crimp tool with the rotating head for a wide range of sizes
on eBay for very reasonable price...don't recall just what, but about
$50 for it and an assortment of splices I seem to recall. It's been a
life-saver more than once; first when needed to get the heaters to the
cattle pens working during winter...later had a supply line fail one
side to shop. It's a buried line and the crimp has held up just fine
for about 5 years so far...