Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

In article ,
says...

You were OK until you said "bury". That tape is not a listed direct
burial method. There are direct burial splices tho, crimped and full
of silicone. Most people do not have the required crimping tool tho.
This isn't a "squeeze it with pliers" thing.

The method the OP's guy used is OK, he just needs better splices.

The practical part of me says it will "work" forever the way it is, it
is just not legal. If I did nothing else, I would screw a red wirenut
down on those twisted #10 grounds.

So it would be ok to just splice and burry with proper crimp and tape
that is designed to be burried ? I thought it would be possiable to use
a butt splice on the wires if done in a way that water proofs them.

I would probably do that anyway if it was just my stuff. While not
legal, I wanted a place to plug in my 5 kw portable generator on the
outside of the house. I put in a 30 amp breaker and used # 10 wire with
2 hots, neutral and ground. That went to a box on the outside wall that
has the 'water proff' cover. I am sure it does not meet code as
probably needed to be agound fault or something.

I worked in industry with lots of 480 3 phase and other 'high power'
circuits. So I know the dangers of what I did even the use of what I
refer to as a 'double sucide cord' (the kind with males on both end).
If I was doing the work for someone else, I would make sure it was done
to the code.