CBHVAC

Default Air Conditioning problem

"noname" wrote in message
I might add, that in the case of the OP, I dont think hes got a design
issue, but either an install, or charge issue.
IF the guy that installed the outdoor unit didnt chck to see if the evap
coil was mated, or had a correct metering device for the new unit,

nothings
really gonna help that issue till the evap issue is corrected.
Good money in this case, since no one can tell over the internet, and

Daves
advice of checking delta T is NOT a great way to tell if you have a

charge,
or an installation issue, would be on a bad charge....more than likely,

if
anything, its slightly undercharged, and simply can not keep up the

demand
with a higher load.
But...again...thats pure speculation.

Here is what I am fighting with the maint dept over (all different
degrees of HVAC certifications).

#1 - When the outside unit was changed the evap coils were not (they
simply do not change them in any units in the 5 years I have been here)
yet this complex is 30 years old as was the now defunct unit.

Then there is part of your problem, as a 30 year old evap is not even close
to being matched to a new condensor. Thats a given.

#2 - the HIGH SIDE (small tube) is not even hardly warm but the upstairs
unit is.

That might point back to the fact that the metering device in the evap coil
wont be matched to the condensor.
It also might be the wrong size lineset for a newer unit. Each make
specifies the correct lineset sizes for the condensor, when matched to a
MATCHING evap.

#3 - the compressor when running has beads of condensation on top of the
unit (as well as the normal sweat).

Thats not a good sign. Can you scream overcharge at the guy that installed
it?
Also, you dont WANT the compressor sweating. IT COULD again point back at
the evap coil, and thats probably 60% of the problem.
the other 40 is charge conditions....

#4 - Its a 2 ton unit and this apartment is 1540sq ft (1400sqft livable
space...thats minus the master closet that is sealed and the sealed
utility storage room)

What can I tell these guys to make them make this right?

Have them check the superheat, or subcool, depending on the metering device
in the evap. IF they have a clue, they will know what that is...there is a
chart on all modern units on the access panel to the condensor that will
have the correct chart.

Btw: Thanks for all of this help.