Jonny R

Default Painting vs. replacing vinyl siding ... ?

(Blake Patterson) wrote in message om...
"Art" wrote in message thlink.net...
Painting brick is usually a big mistake.

In what way?

Once you paint brick, there's no going back. Sure you can always
sandblast it off, but it will damage the brick in the process.

All painted brick does is slowly flake off and degrade. Then your
house looks run-down and like crap, and you have the pleasure of
knowing that you'll need to re-paint it every X number of years to
keep it looking decent. I always shake my head whenever I see a nice
brick house that had its brick painted, and is now flaking off
un-evenly at random spots and looks like trash.

In terms of resale, I would think that it would scare off certain
potential buyers as well who will be turned off at the prospect of
buying a house that had painted brick (I know that I would probably
never buy a house that had painted brick, unless its price was
discounted to reflected this constant hassle).

In my opinion, if you are planning on staying in that house for a long
time, go ahead and paint the brick if that's what you want and you
truly hate its current color. But if you are thinking about selling
it in the next 5 years or so, I'd leave the brick as is and the next
owners can always paint it if they want to.