Blake Patterson

Default Painting vs. replacing vinyl siding ... ?

We have a two story house with a large rear expansion. The main
portion of the house is unpainted brick on 1st floor, white aluminum
siding on 2nd. The large, rear, two-floor expansion was recently
built and is covered with white vinyl siding.

We are looking to change the color of the entire house to a particular
shade of very light, cream yellow (windows and trim would be white).

Painting the brick should obviously be no problem. I believe aluminum
siding can be painted without much trouble. But the vinyl siding
concerns me. I understand that it swells significantly with sunlight
and that it used to be the case that you just couldn't paint it. I
see some reports that there are paints now that are superadhesive and
that as long as a light color is used, you can paint vinyl siding and
even get a warranty on the work.

How good an idea is it to paint go ahead and have the siding painted?
What is the cost of re-siding a house with proper-color vinyl siding
vs. painting? Am I correct that there should be no problem painting
the aluminum siding?

Any other thoughts in general? Thanks.

bp