John Willis

Default oak => too busy for me

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 01:56:07 -0600, "xrongor"
scribbled this interesting note:

"wendi" wrote in message
Personally I would never paint wood like that though. If you don't

I don't like oak because it's looks too busy and I don't like the open
grain. That's just my personally preference. Having said that, I don't
really like to paint wood in general, even oak. But, these cabinets are
just too massive and overwhelming. I'll paint over 80% of them, and try

re-stain the cabinets under the U-shape counter. That's the plan. If the
chemical stripping process turns too difficult which means I have to turn

mechanical sanding, then I'll just paint over them. I don't like sanding,
esp. I don't know if these old veneer cabinets can take the beating.

I would sand down to the bare wood and use one coat of primer.

Only one coat of primer? How about the undercoat?

if you ever bother to get primer out for anything, and use less than two
coats, you are just asking to have to redo it soon. always two coats of
primer. more as required.

randy

Sand, clean, prime, sand, clean, prime, sand, clean, prime, sand,
clean, enamel, sand, clean, enamel, sand, extra clean, finish coat of
enamel. Do this correctly and with oil based enamel and you end up
with a super clean and smooth finish that is very tough and durable.
Done this way you can even polish out minor scratches. If you use
latex enamel then polishing and scrubbing is out of the question.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)