Alan

Default How many coats of primer on pre-stained oak?

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:23:23 -0400, "
wrote:

Not quite as easy as that. Once wood is sealed it doesn't accept
typical stains. There are gel stains that reside on the surface that
can be used but not typical stains.

On 8 Jun 2004 11:07:31 -0700, (Childfree Scott)
wrote:

I would sand down to the bare wood and use one coat of primer.
Personally I would never paint wood like that though. If you don't
like the color than you can always stain it a different color them put
your 3 coats of polyeureathane over it.

Besides we much prefer the painted look to the old stained one.
That said, we are moving to a house with medium oak stained ones that
are definitely not going to be painted.