Roger

Default How many coats of primer on pre-stained oak?

Two Approaches:
(1) Once you use liquid sandpaper, and the surface is completely dry, you
should use one, or perhaps two coats of stain blocker primer, such as
alcohol or acrylic based Zinzer or Bullseye. Regular primers will not seal
the stain in, if the cabinet clear finish is breached anywhere, and it may
bleed through to the white topcoat over time.
(2) (easier) In order not to breach the clearcoat over our stained oak, we
just cleaned the varnish over the stain with 409 or fantastic, then lightly
sanded for better adherence of the primer. The key thing is to get the
surface super clean, grease free, and slightly rough. That was several years
ago, and the new finish paint looks great. We used Zinzer as a primer and
undercoat.

I'm planning to repaint my oak cabinets white. They're stained with an
amber-tint now. I'm planning to use a liquid sander to rough up the top
coat, and then use a enamel primer. My question is how many coats of

primer
do I need?