CBhVAC:\)

Default Should I renew my home warranty, big A/C issue

"Evan Mann" wrote in message
om...

"CBhVAC" wrote in

message
Depends. What current tonnage you have now, and what SEER rating will

you
want? 10? 12? 13? 14? 16?18?

I have to look at the current one to see the tonage. I forget, but it's a
Carrier unit built in 1990. What was the highest seer rating back then?
Since I don't plan to stay in this house more then a few more years, I'd
probably go cheap and get lower seer, just trying to get at least equal to
what I have now

Back then, about 9 to 10..10 MAYBE.
Most are in the 8-9 range, and as they age, they get lower.

I know it's a somewhat loaded question,

No kidding..LOL..particularly since depending on where you live, and the
type of structure you live in, it could be a 1.5 ton unit, or a 5 ton..

Prob closer to a 2 or a 2.5 ton unit, and figure since its straight AC,

and
not a heat pump, from $1500 to $5000...depending on what you need, size,
SEER, and parts that need to be replaced to make it all work right

again.

Is that price based on just the compressor, or are you talking the lines

and
the evap coil?

Outdoor unit, and lines, and evap coil.

Again, I really appreciate the info. I'm going to ask the guy coming out
tomorrow what it would cost to replace everything, and just the outdoor
compressor. Want to ask him about all the things you are mentioning. I
know when he was out last time, he did mention Superheat and put a temp
probe on the box. He didn't mention subcool however.

Subcool is only used if you have a TEV on the evap coil
Good...most techs..if you want to call them that, just look at pressure
readings, and slap juice to the unit.
I can charge one with just two temp probes, and be damn close...like..within
1 point of dead on.

My invoice indicated
superheat of 42 and I was low on refridgerant. This was also before I had
the compressor's cooling fins cleaned, something I don't think was done
since it was installed. Does that effect the superheat/subcool and need

for
refridgerant?

Ummm..if he didnt clean the coils, hes got no clue. The units got to be
working right, and the coils clean to check anything.
Also, if he didnt use a scale, (and this goes for ANYONE reading this) to
measure in the R22, then I hope you didnt pay him a thing.